help with correct cam size

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
In the somewhat near future (depending on how fast i can get a new clutch, and pay for it) I'll be getting regrinds from schneidercams.com after contacting them, they have over 5000 different grinds i can choose from. though i don't know the lift and other facts, they have been selling 274 racing cams for years. these are regrinds and i already have the lash caps (its a 6mm riser that sits under the valve bucket to bring it closer to the cam..... since they grind some off). anyways...... here's my set-up

pt61 .68 turbine ar on greddy manifold
3.5" dp and tp
rsr gtII
map-ecu
supporting fuel mods
full hard pipes and bigger intercooler

i don't have a way of turning up the rev limiter yet, and i was wondering if this cam is a little lofty for my needs. the car is a serious street car that does 95% of its work on pump gas. here is a pm from a guy that used the schneider cams years ago

"I liked them. They were very streetable but they had a serious lope to them. I was using them with a ported head SP57 turbo kit and all supporting mods. For the money you can beat them.

Erin"

tell me what you think. im not set on these 274's, but i wouldn't mind a rise in the power band if it means an extra 40whp on pump gas (thats what ive been told to expect). i say this because they can grind me pretty much any demension that i want. so i bet i could just get the bc 272, or 264 specs and have them replicate it. right now my turbo falls off a little bit before 6.5k rpms. watch the video here to see what i mean. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51999
i have yet to see how the car feels on higher boost....... sorry for being so long winded, but thanks in advance.

...... also, i plan on getting the head ported when i rebuild my motor with forged internals

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
well, i have an 88 so i can rev to 6.5k rpms. right now, the turbo pulls hardest to 5.8-6.0k rpms. i believe cams, port and pollish and a tune could equate to over 50 rwhp. I don't mind moving the powerband up a little. The turbo spools real fast. I never race anybody at 3k rpms, and i generally drive pretty slow around town. right now i feel that my turbo works real well from 4k-6k. so a big cam like the schneider racing cam might move my powerband up 500 rpms. what are your thoughts on this. and if im off with my thinking, what do you think my powerband SHOULD be. i like drag racing, so im thinking a big cam could be big power at the top-end. i don't forsee myself getting a stand-alone for a bit, so i won't be able to raise the rev-limit or control timing. also, are cam gears a must with bigger cams?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Adjustable Cam gears allow you to taDaaaa adjust the cam timing ;)
(yes they're needed if you want to get a baseline)

The Cams I run are great (specs in the 1st post of my build thread)