help w/ 4 point harnesses

turbotank88

Jan 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Hi all, I want to use 4 point harnesses with some bucket seats, and was wondering how I could mount these in a safe way? If anyone uses a 4 point harness do you have any pics?

I heard that mounting the shoulder straps too low could cause your spine to collapse? is this true? I don't understand the concept behind this, could some one shed some light on this to me?

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
In regards to paragraph two...

Yes, just think of force and horizontal and vertical components. In short, you don't want any NEGATIVE vertical force in an accident, as it is magnified, and vertical means it affects your spine, etc... you see where I'm going with that. You want the harnesses mounted as parallel to the ground as possible. If there is positive vertical force, I can't imagine that would have the same effect, so only if the harnesses are below the imaginary plane, should there be a concern. And while I'm at it... 5pt/6pt > * Don't wanna submarine in those 4pts without a crotch belt. Good luck man, wish I had some pics but I don't, this is all from my physics classes I took a few years ago =P If I have anything wrong, please someone chime in...

-J

Realize I didn't actually ANSWER anything... get a harness bar if you don't have a cage, or cage the car and mount them to the integrated harness bar on the cage. I would imagine the lap belts can be hit in the stock points...? Again, someone chime in to correct...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
im with tank. figgie, whats the right way? not trying to nitpick, just wanna learn for my eventual buildup

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
right way?

ok 4 point harness does not prevent you from becoming one with the footwell. No anti-submarining belt meaning in an accident guess what happens if you spine is not being compressed? You are being pushed UNDER the lap belt and you WILL be going into the foot well. What this means is that your legs will shatter in many places to accomplish this.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
what figgie is talking about is if the car rolls over. w/ the stock belt you will lay to the side by design. w/ a 4/5pt harness you are strapped in and nowhere for your body to go. so if the roof caves in it will crush you. for impacts, a harness is the way to go. for a roll over, stock is the way to go. best of both is run a harness and roll bar. that way you are best protected all the way around.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dbsupra90 said:
what figgie is talking about is if the car rolls over. w/ the stock belt you will lay to the side by design. w/ a 4/5pt harness you are strapped in and nowhere for your body to go. so if the roof caves in it will crush you. for impacts, a harness is the way to go. for a roll over, stock is the way to go. best of both is run a harness and roll bar. that way you are best protected all the way around.

no actually that is the other point just that I didn't bring it up quite yet :)

harness are part of a safety SYSTEM

Harness is useless without the roll bar because of the aforementioned rollover. Been discussed numerous times in racing boards. Just like a roll bar does you no good if you don't have a helmet on etc.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
gotcha, cause you can still smack into the roll bar. so stock, the seatbelt does nothing to keep you from sliding under and ending up in the footwell, if i understand you right?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Clip said:
gotcha, cause you can still smack into the roll bar. so stock, the seatbelt does nothing to keep you from sliding under and ending up in the footwell, if i understand you right?

actually no
the stock seat belt PREVENTS the submarining

why?

As the top portion of the body moves forward it tightens the lap belt via the buckles fulcrum point (like a pulley) which will cinch on your waist and you are NOT going to submarine.

The 4 point is quite the opposite as it does not have that fulcum mechanism. So body moves forward the lap belt has ZERO choice but to ride up and guess where your hips start to slide ;)

turbotank88

Jan 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
alrighy, so then a 4 point harness is pretty useless in a collision or even rolling over? And that the act of a 5 point harness is to keep the lap belt from riding up and prevent you from sliding under it in the event of a crash or rolling over, correct?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
turbotank88 said:
alrighy, so then a 4 point harness is pretty useless in a collision or even rolling over? And that the act of a 5 point harness is to keep the lap belt from riding up and prevent you from sliding under it in the event of a crash or rolling over, correct?

"by George, I think they got it!"

that is correct.

But as I stated before the 5 point harness is wortheless without the proper seat and other safety equipment. As stated the harness is only part of the entire safety system. With SYSTEM being the key word :)

turbotank88

Jan 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
alright figgie, thanks for the info...does anybody else have any pics of their setup though? and does anybody know who sells harness bars for a decent price?

jizake1jz

FTMFW
Feb 18, 2007
Lake Zurich, IL
sorry to bring this back from about a year ago but might as well rather than start a new thread. in here figgie mentions that a harness is only part of the saftey system, and without the prober seats or a roll bar it is worthless and can be dangerous..... so my question is: If i have a roll bar and stock seats, can i run a harness safely? if yes then 4 point or 5 point (i think he suggested 5 point).

any harnesses you guys reccomend? i would want a 3 " harness, correct?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
3 inch all the way.

2 inch, forget it, price difference is negligeble.

as for the stock seat with a harness.... well the stock seat has no provision for a 5 point so that only leaves one option. Stock seat belt. ;) 4 point is not an option.