Help! Rough Idle, 'Popping' sound, video inside - Track tonight!

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
First off, I'll thank you in advance for any help you guys (and ladies) can provide.

Here’s the story… a few days ago the car started to have a bit of a rough idle, I thought nothing of it because the car still ran fine. Last night at race city after some hard abuse the idle got really rough and now the car sounds like it’s wheezing or ‘popping’, only at idle. I took some video from different locations on the car and this is the only one that the mic actually picked up the sound in:

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/prometheus_alpha/Supra/?action=view&current=MVI_2619.flv

Listen very carefully, it sounds like a pop of air moving, it happens every 5 seconds or so. My earphones don’t reproduce the sound well, but my speakers at home did. The engine rocks noticeably when it makes the offending sound.

Other notes:

The car can only boost to 0.67kg/cm2… when the controller is set to 0.80. The controller works because turning it off cuts the boost to 0.55, which is normal. It could be the controller being stubborn as that my AVC-R doesn’t like to relearn boost perameters readily when in self-learn mode, but I'm not going to rule out a pre-turbine exhaust leak causing low boost.

Car stalled randomly at idle for no reason while on the track. Somewhat strange but not alarming on its own. Heat soak maybe?

Car may be running rich(er) than normal, but I can’t really prove that. I just smell a lot of fuel when I come to a stop after a good boost. There’s a lot of soot out of the tailpipe too (and thus, on the bumper).

Car runs fine under load and seems to be making solid power. There’s no evidence of soot or carbon in the engine bay if it was an exhaust leak, nor is there any real indicative smell of exhaust when I put my head near the manifold.

I couldn’t find any hoses or loose connections in a quick check-over, or anything apparently amiss at glance. I didn't have time to carefully investigate each hose in the vacuum system, but I will tonight.

It didn’t do the rough idle and weird sound when stone cold this morning. I had to take it for a drive around the neighbourhood, warm it up, hit some boost, then come home… Then I made the video.

I’m stumped.

Tonight I have the lapping part of my driving school so the shooprah will get bagged on pretty hard. I'm a "run 'er till she blows" kinda guy. The car pulls strong and runs hard, just has a funny idle. Unless you guys think I shouldn't drive it, I don't really have much choice because the school was hella expensive.

Sorry about the wall of text, I just wanted to get as much info as possible to make it easier.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Listen very carefully, it sounds like a pop of air moving, it happens every 5 seconds or so. My earphones don’t reproduce the sound well, but my speakers at home did. The engine rocks noticeably when it makes the offending sound.

Other notes:

The car can only boost to 0.67kg/cm2… when the controller is set to 0.80. The controller works because turning it off cuts the boost to 0.55, which is normal. It could be the controller being stubborn as that my AVC-R doesn’t like to relearn boost perameters readily when in self-learn mode, but I'm not going to rule out a pre-turbine exhaust leak causing low boost.

Car stalled randomly at idle for no reason while on the track. Somewhat strange but not alarming on its own. Heat soak maybe?

Car may be running rich(er) than normal, but I can’t really prove that. I just smell a lot of fuel when I come to a stop after a good boost. There’s a lot of soot out of the tailpipe too (and thus, on the bumper).

Car runs fine under load and seems to be making solid power. There’s no evidence of soot or carbon in the engine bay if it was an exhaust leak, nor is there any real indicative smell of exhaust when I put my head near the manifold.

I couldn’t find any hoses or loose connections in a quick check-over, or anything apparently amiss at glance. I didn't have time to carefully investigate each hose in the vacuum system, but I will tonight.

It didn’t do the rough idle and weird sound when stone cold this morning. I had to take it for a drive around the neighbourhood, warm it up, hit some boost, then come home… Then I made the video.

I’m stumped.

Tonight I have the lapping part of my driving school so the shooprah will get bagged on pretty hard. I'm a "run 'er till she blows" kinda guy. The car pulls strong and runs hard, just has a funny idle. Unless you guys think I shouldn't drive it, I don't really have much choice because the school was hella expensive.

Sorry about the wall of text, I just wanted to get as much info as possible to make it easier.