HELP PLEASE!!! OILING ISSUES?!?!?

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
I recently built my engine from the ground up, and used the chilton manual for everything. I just recently read that BHG's are due to improper torque to the bolts, i followed the book and set them at 58 ft/lbs. it ran fine for about 2800 miles and then started actin like a bhg, lots of steam pouring out the pipe, on hot starts only, and the symptoms disappeared after about 30ft of driving. I retorqued the bolts (they were 10lbs loose) and it seemed fine again. then one day it started again and it got worse. and then (all on the same trip) it started reading low oil pressure, and within 5 min's it was almost 0, i made an underpass u turn and heard a knocking, instantly i shut her down and coasted into a parkin lot, and towed her home. cant see any water in the oil or vice versa, tried to spin the pump drive gear with an air ratchet and no oil could be seen comin up to the cams (dont know if it's even possible to do that just thought i would give it a try) im gonna go ahead and pull the motor. just wanted to know if any one has any input on this. oil pump? pickup? drive gear assembly? maybe the bhg has somethin to do with it? im out of theories

Last edited:

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
yea im kinda new to supra engines, i think the only place i went wrong was using the 58 ft/lbs on the head bolts, all the tolerances in the block were witin specs. I shud of bumped it up to like 70/75 on the head bolts, and went ahead and bought a brand new oil pump (no sense in cuttin corners especially with lube systems)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It could be a BHG, it could be loosing oil into the plug galley from the cam covers.

Start with checking the following:
Coolant for contaminated with oil.
Visible oil leaks. (especially check for oil coming from the timing belt cover or distributor)
Oil in the spark plug galley.
Oil blowing out of the the dipstick tube.
Check the spark plugs for signs of burning oil.

EDIT: are you using OEM bolts or ARP?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Check the coolant while the motor's cool, look in the rad for any small oily bubbles floating on top... or find somewhere to get the coolant analyzed.

Have you drained the oil to check for coolant?

If the cam covers are leaking badly enough and the oil isn't checked very often you can loose more than enough oil for the oil pump pickup to run dry while accelerating, decelerating or turning. Also, keep in mind that our oil guages are slow to respond, the pickup could have run dry a couple seconds before the guage reported it.

It really sounds like more than just a leak though. The HG might have been trashed before you retorqued it.

How the compression?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If you pull the timing belt I imagine an impact socket would do... probably best to pull the cam covers and just turn it for a second... but even if it flows it's still no guarantee.