Help on useing search more effectivly

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I have been trying to figure out how to use the searc to find only posts that contain the exact prase I am looking for.

An example would be code 42.

I would like the search to find only post that contain " code 42 ".

I have tried "code 42", code AND 42, "code AND 42" as well as lower case and. In each case it returns code which give me tons of irrelivent posts.

Or is there a way to perform a compond search first for codee then for 42?

Any help or a user guide for the search functions would be great!!

Thanks
Steve

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Showing results 1 to 25 of 89
Search took 4.27 seconds; generated 2 minute(s) ago. Search: Key Word(s): code

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: 42

*edit*
"code+42" just made it even broader for me... Hell, post your best pic came up with that

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Are you looking for code 42 info or was that just an example?

I use google, yahoo, dogpile and a few others when the search here fails. "code 42" or find out in the TSRM where it says code 42 = no vehical speed sensor to ecu for several seconds at speed. So I seach for those words. "code 42 speed sensor" or ecu..

I think that is how I found this site..:)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Crap... I forgot about the numbers in the 'allowed short words list'.

I'll have to add all codes in and rebuild the search indexes. At the moment, you can only search for 'code' - adding 42 will just get ignored.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
DOH!!! That explains a lot...

lol many times the search has left me stranded, but at times like that, I do what Matt did and shorten your search content and do more labor to find what you need. I you really need it, youll be willing to spend more time searching for it.

Drew

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
- First of all thanks for the valuable input, I appreciate that.

I think we keep seeing questions that have been answered previously, knowing how to search may eliminate some of the redundant questions.

I have tried useing the + between words it doesn't do what I expected.

Joel-
"Are you looking for code 42 info or was that just an example?"
This was the most recent search that I perfomed that returned all kinds of information that was not related to code 42.

Thank you for the suggestions on useing alternative search engines.

Grim-
Thanks for updateing the search capabilities! making the place better.

Is there any way to have the search return exact phrases only? such as " brake light" to return posts that only contain the word brake followed by the word light?

Thanks again for the help.

Steve

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
GrimJack said:
All codes have been added, and the search indexes are rebuilding. Takes several hours to complete entirely though, so don't expect to be able to search on these until sometime tomorrow morning.

It works good now..:icon_bigg I was only finding 3 hits for code 51 last night and now today I have found 85 hits... This should help tons...

Awsome :biglaugh:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
This thread is awesome. A great example of someone willing to help themself, and others, in turn, helping that person.

I can't wait to try that method, swaq... sounds good to me!