Help on deciding on clutch...

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Hey everyone. Been having a heck of a time deciding on what clutch to go with. I'm hoping that some input from the community will help me reach a decision.

I have a 1JZ w/ R154. I have laying around an all aluminum one piece flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts, and flywheel bolt locking ring. I was thinking about getting a TS2-XTSS "Xtreme" or TS2-XTG6 "Xtreme" Sprung 6 puck kit to go with it. Not sure if that combination is good or not...

I am also thining about a twin disk setup, but not sure what is good out there. I know they are pricey and I don't wanna spend more than 1500 - 2000 on a clutch. Hell, I have a hard time with $600 for a clutch, but I want to do it right.

My goals are like 500 - 600 whp range. Thinking about getting the Driftmotion 60-1 or 67mm Turbo Kit.

I'm not going to be drag racing much. Maybe a couple times a year or something, if that. I'm a bit of a pu$$y to race in front of all those people hahaha. I am really looking for a nice streetable car.

Thanks for your input in advance.

- Ryan

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
For maintaining any sort of daily drive ability I've found that the 6 pucks work well, but upwards of 600HP they may not all hold. I have to say that trying to slip my 6puck in traffic is not my favorite thing to do, but when you like to use your car often and in town it is a better case scenario than a 4 or 2 puck if you do not intend to drag race with it. 1,500$ is a lot for a product designed to wear out, I'd opt to spend that kind of money on a helical diff and something a bit less on a clutch.

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
CBatstone;1567541 said:
For maintaining any sort of daily drive ability I've found that the 6 pucks work well, but upwards of 600HP they may not all hold. I have to say that trying to slip my 6puck in traffic is not my favorite thing to do, but when you like to use your car often and in town it is a better case scenario than a 4 or 2 puck if you do not intend to drag race with it. 1,500$ is a lot for a product designed to wear out, I'd opt to spend that kind of money on a helical diff and something a bit less on a clutch.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping that if I go with the 6 puck it will be ok with a one piece aluminum flywheel. Hmmm...

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
CBatstone;1567573 said:
I run a one piece aluminum flywheel and one of the good ebay 6-pucks. I'll be running a MAFTPRO and 680's soon so i'll see if it holds up. I love it now though.

Awesome, thanks for the input. What ebay clutch did you go with?

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
CBatstone;1567573 said:
I run a one piece aluminum flywheel and one of the good ebay 6-pucks. I'll be running a MAFTPRO and 680's soon so i'll see if it holds up. I love it now though.

Which ebay 6 buck you talking about, or the ebay seller?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
One question that I have it mind is how long will it take you to get to your power goals? Six months? A year and a half?
If you were to buy and install a clutch that will hold 600whp today, will it wear out by the time you reach that power goal later? Then you're going to have to replace a $600 clutch again. Is your current clutch not holding? Have you already out powered it?

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Suprapowaz!(2);1567806 said:
One question that I have it mind is how long will it take you to get to your power goals? Six months? A year and a half?
If you were to buy and install a clutch that will hold 600whp today, will it wear out by the time you reach that power goal later? Then you're going to have to replace a $600 clutch again. Is your current clutch not holding? Have you already out powered it?

The engine is going in the car soon. I haven't drivin the car since I bought it three years ago hahaha. I'm going to have cams, turbo kit, fuel system, supporting mods (haven't picked engine mangment yet), etc all set to go to hopfully yield 500 whp right off the bat. I can't afford to make any more power than that. I'm hoping to be driving it later next year! Is it bad to ask for car parts as a wedding gift? hmmm...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
If you have the money, twin/triple plates are always the best IMO.

I have the Action sprung 6 puck with the 2800lb PP and it's a great clutch.. but, if a higher clamping force was needed, I'd go with a twin or triple plate.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Oppie1;1567976 said:
Is it bad to ask for car parts as a wedding gift? hmmm...

Yes silly, don't do that. Just take all of the gifts back for a full refund and spend that shit on the MKIII y0! Don't ever invite people to your house. They'll never know.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
You want to avoid upping the clamiping force too much due to crank walk.
6 puck sprung is what you want but it will wear out fast & be unfriendly to drive.
I think what holds the best in your power range is twin tripple plate its lighter can be slipped and hold the power.

Also a multiplate wont shockload the drivetrain as bad because its ease to be slipped on hard launch.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I have been using this ACT Extreme for months. I love it.

Who has gotten crank walk from one of those? Did you bypass the neutral safety switch?

Which clutch lasts the longest?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I think the thing I'm most afraid on my car is my clutch and its engagement. I slip my Action sprung 6 puck only slightly after a quick blip of the throttle to get moving, and it doesn't create much shock (even with the 1pc driveshaft); clutch life is an entirely different issue though. sometimes I wonder how long it will last even considering the things to prevent both drivetrain shock and slipping the clutch. however, I have both heard and read they can last for quite some time.

The main one I think many have heard of causing crank walk is the RPS 3200lb.. and I suspect any other similar to it.

Last edited: