Help - New Turbo - Still sucks oil into intercooler

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
New Turbo, even tried another one, and it still sucks oil into the intercooler? It sucks a quart about evry 20 miles. Solid engine, no boost leaks, etc. I am at a loss????? Help!:aigo:

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
pcv

drain line

restrictor

check things in that order. stock cts have internal restrictors IIRC so that shouldnt be a problem. your pvc system needs to be plumbed correctly with a non clogged TB orifice, your drain line needs to be routed to the factory return on the block or if your NA-t to the oil pan in a protected high location

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
supraguru05;1291038 said:
pcv

drain line

restrictor

check things in that order. stock cts have internal restrictors IIRC. your pvc system needs to be plumbed correctly with a non clogged TB orifice, your drain line needs to be routed to the factory return on the block or if your NA-t to the oil pan in a protected high location

The drain line is good, new and checked it twice, it is routed to the original factory return on the block. This is a JT57 Turbo with the boss housing and braided lines. I have not checked the TB orifice, everything else appears to be good. I will double check it. Man, that would be too easy but I hope it is clogged!!!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
done a compression or a leak down test? and is there oil in the intake, intercooler, and the 3000pipe? or just the intercooler? i would check to see which pipes have the most oil and go from there...

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Rennat;1291063 said:
done a compression or a leak down test? and is there oil in the intake, intercooler, and the 3000pipe? or just the intercooler? i would check to see which pipes have the most oil and go from there...

Most of the oil is in the intercooler piping and intercooler. I just pulled the check valve and there is some small amount of oil behind it in the intake manifold. Looks like it could be bad? The engine is new, less than 2K miles on it so I do not think the engine has a problem.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
supraguru05;1291038 said:
pcv

drain line

restrictor

check things in that order. stock cts have internal restrictors IIRC so that shouldnt be a problem. your pvc system needs to be plumbed correctly with a non clogged TB orifice, your drain line needs to be routed to the factory return on the block or if your NA-t to the oil pan in a protected high location

It looks like the TB orifice might be clogged, how do I check it? Do you know where I can find the part number or is it listed in the TSRM? I'm looking but do not see it?

SacoMan

Nov 25, 2005
Spain
www.supraclub.es
wait a minute, I thought my turbo was bad because my bov spits oil and the its oil in all the pipes, can this be caused by anything else than a bad turbo?

With the turbo out i did some tests and no oil was coming out of it

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
the sources of oil present in a intercooler can be from the front turbo seal leaking and or excessive blowby which sends the oil vapor from the cam covers to the front of the turbo where it is then sucked in.

this is why its a little tricky to prove whether its the turbo or the rings, however a leak down test would tell you, also if its a ton of oil and your not having any smoking issues out the back that points to the turbo as well.

have you contacted the manufacturer of that turbo to see if a restrictor is needed with that turbo?

best way to clean the orifice is to remove the throttle body and spray into the port with brake parts cleaner

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
jetjock;1291154 said:
Integral to the TB. Not a replaceable part...

We must be talking about a different part. The part I am looking at is the check valve behind the idle control valve that mounts to the intake. Not sure if this could cause the issue or not?

Where is the TB valve located you are talking about and can it be cleaned?:1zhelp: