HELP! Need info on swapping engine from Cressida into supra.

Engine Options

• Rebuild Supra head.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Avoid doing this at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MT1

Jan 19, 2013
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Hello, Im new to this forum as this is my first supra and my second toyota (first was a soarer). Im very very excited to get my MK3. However...it has a VERY bent valve (don't ask me which one).

Long story short, the head needs to be replaced. The guy said he rebuilt the engine and a couple months later it blew on him (using as a generic term). That makes me wonder if I should avoid using the rest of the engine. I have a Cressida engine that I can get from my girlfriends dad that has a good condition engine in it. I want to use the head from it, or the whole engine. Whats my best bet for the swap? I have done a reasonable amount of research on how to do it. But no real "solid" details. Below is a list of things that have been mentioned in various forums:

-intake manifold is different (self explanatory)

-injectors (self explanatory)

-cams from the supra (more aggressive than the Cressida apparently)

-oil pan and sump (i do not understand the process, some were saying I would need to customize the oil pan and sump location or something along the lines of that. Very vague description. Part of the problem is I don't even know where the sump is located in the first place on either engine. I have never done anything like this on a toyota before. I do know it has something to do with the crossmember. right?)

-last but not least, oil dip stick shaft relocation if I use the Cressida lower end

Main question, is it easier to replace just the head from the Cressida onto the Supra block. Or would it be beneficial to just use the cressida engine. Both are 7mge, but some accessories are different. :/

Im sorry if this seems like a disorganized post. I just have so many questions about. Im hoping I can pick someones brain.

Thanks a bunch in advance guys! Sorry if this is in the wrong category.
Nathan

[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=513929008651538&set=vb.100001033306156&type=2&theater[/video]

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
The only difference in the two engines is the oil pans are different but interchangeable so u would have to use the one off the supra engine and the oil pump as well. The intakes are interchangeable as well so u could use that off the supra engine if u did the swap. But u can use just the head from the Cressida if u want to

MT1

Jan 19, 2013
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
I was just going to write a little paragraph explaining everything that needs to be done. Was talking with a few other guys that have done the swap. Quite simple from what someone first told me. Haha.

Thanks for the reply and information guys! Really appreciate it!

Just one more question. I know I have to change the oil pump in the pan. But I'm assuming it's attached to the block somewhere inside the pan? I have never actually seen one before. Haven't done a ton of internal work before.

Again, thanks for the info guys!

Last edited:

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
The oil pump is the same . But the pickup tube will be different - because of the Pan difference .
Just swap the external parts off the Supra to the Cressida motor and call it a day. Why bother breaking down the head when the motor already runs fine .

MT1

Jan 19, 2013
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Because the guy is unsure he wants to sell the block. My options are not 100% set in place yet. So I wanted to know what Im getting into either. I have never worked on a Supra before. So just picking people's brains for info. :)