Help me pick a website URL for my business! (with pics I'm a photographer, come see)

Pick the best, post with your reasoning and don't look at results until you vote. :)

• Total voters

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
If you could let me know what you think is your favorite and why, it will really help me decide. Just like my art, I have to know what people think or I won't go anywhere.

This is one of many important things in marketing myself, and I want to get it right on the first try so I don't have to refer people to another URL after changing it. I wanted some unbiased (not from friends or family) opinions, and supramania members would be perfect!

I want something that:
looks professional
isn't too cumbersome to type (has to be freaking easy so lazy people don't give up)
is as easy to read as possible
conveys that I am a professional photographer
is comfortably short, so I can use it in watermarks (see current images containing "figit090.deviantart.com" for comparison)

For those wondering, here is some of my work (not the future website by the way): http://andrewsible.daportfolio.com/
also my deviantart gallery that has much more work, updated daily: http://figit090.deviantart.com/gallery/

I am building a website to showcase and sell my work, and give future clients galleries for proofing and ordering. It will serve as a communication front for shoots, organizing and selling photo sets, and individual fine art prints, all printed at MPix labs (professional printing) and shipped to their door, if I choose to do business that way. (I could fulfill the prints my self through Costco and make more at first).

I have some of my friend's opinions but I really desire opinions from those I don't know personally, and perhaps those who have never pronounced my name, encase that has any bearing on the decision. FYI my last name is like "Bible" only with an "S". Not SIBBLE, but 'sigh-bull' in layman phonetics:naughty:, I figure over 50% of people will read it wrong.. :icon_mad: no real concern, though.

I really appreciate your help! Seriously...THANK YOU in advance to those taking the time to read this!

Since every thread is better with pics, AND I am a photographer, I should post some pics:

332b769949e20d62e68edaa687c5272a-d5h113j.jpg
8af75aa94f78b172f1a714a6dff75689-d5hqm2a.jpg

952cfa440905850a094c947838892523-d5gqa4q.jpg
65065b74766fd1e16d804774692840c3-d5gfcen.jpg

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
I vote siblephoto.com in my experience the shorter the better. Plus its easier to spell and remember. In this day and age of smartphones I suppose 90% of the people will just type it in. However. I like short domain names or names that are universal. supramania.com for example. once you hear it you know if you are a supra fan at all you will remember it.

Cool photos by the way.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Agree with all the above. Keep it simple, keep it short.

Either way I suggest you give up your day job and drive that Firebird across the country, taking pictures at every good opportunity. ;)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
interesting! most of those whom I know said that "siblephotgraphy" was good because "photography" looks more professional than "photo".

It's great to get this feedback thank you guys! keep the opinions coming, if any are left! =)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
this might sound odd, but most of those I asked in another location voted for siblephotography due to the more professional "photography" rather than just "photo".

Would anyone agree that "siblephotography.com" is a good second choice?

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Domain names are cheap.. get them both, point them to the same place.. and don't forget to at least get the .net versions.. I have seen a few .com addresses that did not buy the .net and someone "upset" with the .com business buys the .net and puts up a I HATE THIS COMPANY website. Not that I think you are going to upset anyone on purpose but in any business there are unhappy customers no matter what you do.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
JMDigital has some pretty sound advice. Having more than one domain might help out your odds on web searches as well.

I agree that "photography" seems more professional than "photo", but we're living in an age where everybody and their dog is on Facebook, interviews are done on the phone on occasion, old people are texting, and they let women vote. What will they think of next? :p Seriously though, I can't think of too many people who I've worked with that would even think to distinguish between photography and photo.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
JMDigital;1885516 said:
Domain names are cheap.. get them both, point them to the same place.. and don't forget to at least get the .net versions.. I have seen a few .com addresses that did not buy the .net and someone "upset" with the .com business buys the .net and puts up a I HATE THIS COMPANY website. Not that I think you are going to upset anyone on purpose but in any business there are unhappy customers no matter what you do.

te72;1886202 said:
JMDigital has some pretty sound advice. Having more than one domain might help out your odds on web searches as well.

I agree that "photography" seems more professional than "photo", but we're living in an age where everybody and their dog is on Facebook, interviews are done on the phone on occasion, old people are texting, and they let women vote. What will they think of next? :p Seriously though, I can't think of too many people who I've worked with that would even think to distinguish between photography and photo.

IJ.;1886221 said:
I'm lazy like most people, shorter the better ;)

BLAH lost what I typed.

Read what you all said, though. Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and pick a URL and buy the other soon, and probably the .net version as well. thanks for the help everyone!

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
JMDigital;1887098 said:
Good luck. The photos you posted are great. When you get the website finished post the .com you decided on. I would like to see more of your work.

Thank you! I haven't forgotten your PM by the way!

I'm going to buy both siblephotography.com and siblephoto.com and have siblephoto.com point to the longer one.... and purchase .net for both later.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
WTF...just registered on namecheap.com and afterward got a order confirmation saying everything failed, no charge. paypal account has the charge though (I hope that goes away soon). Apparently today, of all days, VeriSign is undergoing scheduled maintenance and they can't register domains.

LAME. lol.... no URL and my money went somewhere.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Hmm, hate to revive the thread after deciding but no sense starting a new one, and it's my birthday so it's ok...right? :)

What do you all think of:

www.clickheadshot.com

or

www.click-headshot.com

I wanted a catchy and easy to remember URL that wasn't taken and didn't necessarily have my name and this came to mind yesterday.

I did buy both siblephoto.com and sibephotography.com

Still setting up the site, though.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Reminds me of Call of Duty for PC. Click, HEADSHOT sucka! :p

Genuine first thought there. On that note, bedtime for me.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Figit090;1889707 said:
Hmm, hate to revive the thread after deciding but no sense starting a new one, and it's my birthday so it's ok...right? :)

What do you all think of:

www.clickheadshot.com

or

www.click-headshot.com

I wanted a catchy and easy to remember URL that wasn't taken and didn't necessarily have my name and this came to mind yesterday.

I did buy both siblephoto.com and sibephotography.com

Still setting up the site, though.

So the error you received was taken care of? I dont know about the "Headshot" domain names.. makes me think dirty thoughts.. :naughty:

Glad you remembered my PM. When you are ready to talk about that idea let me know...

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
te72;1890247 said:
Reminds me of Call of Duty for PC. Click, HEADSHOT sucka! :p
Genuine first thought there. On that note, bedtime for me.

haha, yeah i was playing on that idea and since decided the idea...isn't too great. JMDigital has one reason why:

JMDigital;1890258 said:
So the error you received was taken care of? I dont know about the "Headshot" domain names.. makes me think dirty thoughts.. :naughty:

Glad you remembered my PM. When you are ready to talk about that idea let me know...

Hahaha...yeah no headshot URL now. sticking with my name, and yeah I got the URL's sorted out. If you want to check out the site as it is now, unfinished, go to siblephoto.com or siblephotography.com I'll be done with it soon!