lexus_is_01_1C6_02.jpg

smokey granite mica (1G0)
lexus_is_06_1G0_29.jpg

Last edited:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yes I changed the photo for 1g0, because that studio shot just wasn't realistic (although real)

I just realized that 167 came on our cars, I just didn't see a single one in the silver supra thread... although I've seen one around town and it looks GREAT

i think the is300 looks FANTASTIC though -_- decisions

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
For me, I would only consider the last two. The others seem a bit bland :dunno:

The graphite grey (1C6) is nice but it has to much pearl for a car with such strong angles. The sun is going to pick up on certain spots and might be to much of a contrast. On the other hand, 1G0 seems VERY aggressive but I feel that suites the car well.

Edit: now that you changed the pic of 1G0 I'm not so sure which I like better.. lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I know... personally I'm leaning towards the graphite pearl or the grey metallic (I saw a 92 mkiii w/ the graphite pearl and it looked amazing)

that studio shot of the 1G0 did look great though :cool:

here's a better shot of 1G0

IMG_0128.jpg

and 1C6 on a mkiii

dad3.jpg

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
I think the graphite gray pearl suits the MkIII pretty nicely. Which ever color you choose would be a great call! Ill be looking forward to some pics!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
for sure... car needs a lot of work... but it's got cancer in one wheel well, so I can't really bear to let it go unatended to... I'd love to get it sitting right as far as suspension and wheels go first, but like I said.... clearcoat is toast as well, otherwise I'd just leave it burgundy and fix the rust

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Less than three months ago you were complaining about being poor, and missing the days of people giving out freebies. Now you have over $7000 to play with? Must not be that poor.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
LOL are you JOKING?!?!?! who said I had $7000 to play with!?!?! I AM poor, just so happens I know enough of the right people or (in this case) randomly stumble across the right people that will help me out at little or no cost to me

and no I don't miss people giving out freebies, I can't hardly recall a time when that ever happened. don't twist my words like that. The only people I know that would do that (give me parts, or help for free) are personal friends, because they know me well enough to know how generous I am.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
89jdm7m;1925520 said:
LOL are you JOKING?!?!?! who said I had $7000 to play with!?!?! I AM poor, just so happens I know enough of the right people or (in this case) randomly stumble across the right people that will help me out at little or no cost to me

and no I don't miss people giving out freebies, I can't hardly recall a time when that ever happened. don't twist my words like that. The only people I know that would do that (give me parts, or help for free) are personal friends, because they know me well enough to know how generous I am.

Texans must not barter or trade. :icon_razz

Are you planning to do your own body work or have someone else do it?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I would like to do it myself but I have neither the tools nor the space... I came across a knowledgeable individual that grew up working in a body shop... he was pointing out a lot of really small stuff on the car I may have not noticed, like an imperfection from assembly... misaligned panels, ect. I've done a fair amount of body work myself, so I know without a doubt he know's what he's doing/talking about... also saw some of his work too. Anyhow, he works from his house and said he'd do the body work for $15-20/hr (rust repair, and pulling a minor dent on the driver's rear corner where someone hit it in a parking lot) also gave me a couple of options on how to go about painting it (either do it there or have it done at the shop he learned to work in (professional shop)) either way, he's not gonna hit me hard

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
89jdm7m;1925589 said:
I would like to do it myself but I have neither the tools nor the space... I came across a knowledgeable individual that grew up working in a body shop... he was pointing out a lot of really small stuff on the car I may have not noticed, like an imperfection from assembly... misaligned panels, ect. I've done a fair amount of body work myself, so I know without a doubt he know's what he's doing/talking about... also saw some of his work too. Anyhow, he works from his house and said he'd do the body work for $15-20/hr (rust repair, and pulling a minor dent on the driver's rear corner where someone hit it in a parking lot) also gave me a couple of options on how to go about painting it (either do it there or have it done at the shop he learned to work in (professional shop)) either way, he's not gonna hit me hard

It is 100% better if you know someone to give you a little guidance. I had to teach myself to dial in and spray with a HVLP, and the learning curve wasn't bad, but it was still there. What I hate most about painting is the sticker shock of non-expendable materials.

If I do any painting this year I'll probably work out of my garage again, but make it extremely sterile, and then build a pvc pipe/drop cloth extension.

Do you at least have a solid compressor that has good CFM and a decent sized tank? I have a 60 gallon tank AO Smith and at the end of a spraying my tank is hotter than Patrick Swayze on fire.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I use to do autobody, took it in and school became a 1st year.. swithced to electrical better pay and better health. but imo the bodywork is fine at home, paint in a shop. the different between a sterile clean paintbooth and proper airflow/ventilation is night and day to a backyard job. you see every spec of dirt/imperfection in the sun. If your going for the "dirty" look like thats fine but if you don't like how matte black cars look without clear then that pearl will go from dope to a waste of money imo. (and I said pearl bc thats what I'd paint it and seems like majory if others would too) you plan to do the door jams too? if your motors pulled get some cheap spray and varsal clean your engine bay and spray it yourself quickly.