Help me convince my Dad to buy an MK3 Supra! [PROBLEM] {LONG}

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
As clean as this car looks, i did notice a few things.

Rear seats look to be faded/worn on the tops. Hard to tell by the angle.
The car isn't as babied as you think: Look at the passenger side of the engine bay, there's a boost T hooked up. Not a huge deal, it's probably running higher than stock psi though. Somebody wanted just a little more fun out of it.

Overall it's a nice car though. You will have maintenance that needs to be done. If there's only 80k KM, chances are mostly everything is original from the factory. The coolant/vacuum hoses are probably rock hard. Control arm bushings and other suspension components are probably worn. If the shocks are blown, the car has TEMS so shocks are more expensive/difficult to obtain. (last i heard tokico stopped making the shocks to retain TEMS, correct me if i'm wrong, it's been a little while)

I'm sure the car has been taken care of, so you shouldn't have any major problems. Those are just some things you should look into prior to purchase and in the future if he decides to get a supra.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Supra mn;2043200 said:
As clean as this car looks, i did notice a few things.

Rear seats look to be faded/worn on the tops. Hard to tell by the angle.
The car isn't as babied as you think: Look at the passenger side of the engine bay, there's a boost T hooked up. Not a huge deal, it's probably running higher than stock psi though. Somebody wanted just a little more fun out of it.

Overall it's a nice car though. You will have maintenance that needs to be done. If there's only 80k KM, chances are mostly everything is original from the factory. The coolant/vacuum hoses are probably rock hard. Control arm bushings and other suspension components are probably worn. If the shocks are blown, the car has TEMS so shocks are more expensive/difficult to obtain. (last i heard tokico stopped making the shocks to retain TEMS, correct me if i'm wrong, it's been a little while)

I'm sure the car has been taken care of, so you shouldn't have any major problems. Those are just some things you should look into prior to purchase and in the future if he decides to get a supra.

all very good points. the rubber parts on our cars are old and pictures don't always tell the whole story. gotta find out what's been replaced and how it's been cared for. if that info is not available because it's a dealership and they don't know or whatever, then a lot of these things that Supra nm mentions here have to be assumed that they may need replacement sooner than later. that's why finding these older 90s cars in "original condition" isn't always the best. sometimes finding someone who took over and restored most of the parts with modern and brand new replacements can really extend the life of the car long term. you also can't tell until you get in and drive it how it drives and sounds and if it feels really solid and still well put together. a lot of people talk about how the MKIV Supras are better build quality than MKIII, and to an extent, it's likely true. more modern often times means better build quality just by nature, but I can tell you for certain that if a MKIII Supra is very well cared for, it becomes quite clear that the build quality was always there but that it's more rare to find one that was properly owned and maintained.