help! knocking sound coming from rear end!

gundamstrike315

Jan 28, 2010
tucson az
alright, im a new supra owner as well as new to driving a manual trans car. the other day when i was driving i screwed up shifting from 3rd to 4th, i missed the gear, but it didnt affect driving. right after that i noticed a loud knocking noise coming from what sounds to me like the back left wheel assembly. nothings loose and ive had the car jacked up and nothings visibly damaged. talked to toyota and the tech said it sounded like coincidence that the noise started right after missing a gear. either way, the noise is coming from the back and not the engine, and only when i let off the gas. it shifts into gear fine and still drives fine, no loss of power, just feels like a bearing is missing or something because when i let off the gas i can feel a bit of a lag from the rear as well as the loud knocking noise. anybody have any idea as to what this might be? any help would be appreciated. also, its my bad if i posted in the wrong spot, im still new to SM.

gundamstrike315

Jan 28, 2010
tucson az
i figured it out. got it up on a lift and it turned out to be a really simple fix. the damn lugs nuts were loose on the left rim. thanks for all the help tho. its nice to know i have a community i can belong to who can teach me something i dont know.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gundamstrike315;1503035 said:
i figured it out. got it up on a lift and it turned out to be a really simple fix. the damn lugs nuts were loose on the left rim. thanks for all the help tho. its nice to know i have a community i can belong to who can teach me something i dont know.

kwayne;1503046 said:
It sound like you have a bad u-joint

reading>you

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
wow your lug nuts came loose. seems like you need a proper toque wrench to torque them to 76ft lbs.

gundamstrike315

Jan 28, 2010
tucson az
i actually just bought the car like a week ago, and i got it from a friend who owns a shop, so you could understand why that wasnt something i thought of checking. i didnt think they would be that incompetent. but i guess it just goes to show that if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. o well, since that happened i made sure everything was good, changed all the fluids, tightened up everything. now shes purring like a kitten. :biglaugh: btw, anybody have a good link to find a good FULL MKIII interior? maybe some digital gauges too..