Help?! i think my timing is in a different zip code again.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
Hey guys long time no post...

took a break from the project after trying to get it to run but realizing after coming back to it that my timing is in another zip code. so i believe that my cams are NOT positioned right and unfortunately im not an expert on this engine's cam positions. where exactly should i have these cams set...im sure there is an INFINITE of possibilities (or so it would seem) will i need to keep playing with it? if im too retarded let me know....i may need a subject matter expert to come over for a few beers to help me out with this. i have provided some pictures below showing Intake and exhaust sides on TDC for piston #1 any tips or tricks to figure this out? as much as i want to learn how to do this there is very little on what the TSRM and my other repair books/google tell me. (mainly they keep going back to the make sure you mark which hole the dowel is in which i didn't when i took the car apart. :() i can put back together a transmission but give me cams? oh boy.

Both cams
IMG_20130210_130230.jpg

Showing TDC
IMG_20130210_130242.jpg

Intake side
IMG_20130210_130337.jpg

Showing Exhaust side
IMG_20130210_130345.jpg

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
How are you putting in the cps that is usually the problem...

If the cps is lined up right next step is for you to verify the number 1 cylinder is indeed at tdc when the crank pully is positioned to zero and both cams lined up with the notch. Can be done by pulling no.1 spark plug and using a chop stick or long screw driver placed through the plug hole and watching it go up and down while carefully turning the crank. Should be at its highest point at tdc when crank pulley at 0. And obviously use something long enough that won't fall into the engine

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
the engine will turn over with the starter but will backfire if you hold the ignition switch on too long and not idle... i haven't really messed with the CPS much yet but we did have this thing going for a little bit when we adjusted it..it just was backfiring like crazy..

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
SC61 MK3;1913440 said:
How are you putting in the cps that is usually the problem...

If the cps is lined up right next step is for you to verify the number 1 cylinder is indeed at tdc when the crank pully is positioned to zero and both cams lined up with the notch. Can be done by pulling no.1 spark plug and using a chop stick or long screw driver placed through the plug hole and watching it go up and down while carefully turning the crank. Should be at its highest point at tdc when crank pulley at 0. And obviously use something long enough that won't fall into the engine

Do exactly what he said. I did the same thing I put the CPs in and didn't do tdc. It was backfiring and almost running.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
so i think i got timing down but i think the previous owner left a high flow fuel pump in the tank...wondering..will the car start with stock fuel regulator and injectors if that is in there?

what would be the symptoms if that was the case?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
alright, Confirmed timing which is now good according to the instructions provided above, High flow pump is okay to run according to Hvyman, this thing seems to do a rough idle and the engine shakes pretty bad...i don't have a code reader yet but will be getting one.

the thing we are gonna try now is putting the DP on and attaching the C02 sensor...i think that there is a high probability it could be the issue we're having...let me know your thoughts?

trying to eliminate as i go :|

and for everyone who probably wants to know why i haven't installed that yet...its because the DP don't fit right on the turbo...the holes are off a little........my mistake.

Last edited:

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
not an active member since 09...i work too much LOL

i DO have the tsrm though...which ive been reading since my earlier post.

i was going to go rent one earlier but due to the snow storm thats occurring (which ive named snowpocolypse 2) not too safe to take the scoob out with all the people having fun on the roads.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
did some diags but it only came back with nothing i think it was code 51 (which has to do with the neutral start being bypassed by previous owner) anyways, took out a couple spark plugs and 6 was black, 5 was clean NO carbon (wtf?) 4 was carbon and 3 was CLEAN?! i don't get it..we tested the spark but it seems like 4 and 3 coils were not sparking "correctly" and it seemed weak.

the engine smooths out when you accelerate but it idles and smokes like ass the entire engine vibrates pretty bad. Any ideas? or suggestions? im going to bypass the J tube but i dont think thats it...it just seems like its missing badly at idle...its messed up.

Edit: cps is correct for those who are wondering.

and if i seem like an idiot its because im grasping at straws im not sure what is happening anymore. i've been trying to eliminate anything that i think is the problem.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Fwiw there is a factory box that plugs into the diag block. It just doesn't do what OBDII readers do. Second, and I've said this many times, attempts to set ignition timing with a code 51 present *must not* be done unless one is absolutely sure the code isn't TPS related. That said the OP has bigger problems than timing...

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
ok im totally thinking out of my rear here but...

what if its the high flow fuel pump? when i try to ignite the engine it sounds like its flooding and eventually does which doesn't really take that long either and the backfires are pretty nasty thats why i stopped starting it.

i might go down the route of replacing that pump....i mean it is the same car 92nsx had he kept the pump in there from his build.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
replaced my fuel pump and sure enough it works now. just some minor tweaks and shes done...thanks for some input guys. its been stressful figuring this thing out but shes good now.