Help gas leaking from passenger rear

Aug 29, 2011
new york
1991 toyota supra 5 speed turbo

Woke up this morning to find a puddle of gasoline right behind my passenger rear tire and noticed gasoline dripping from my mud flap has anyone had this problem before or know what might be causing it because I am currently using my supra as a daily becauss I blew the transmission on my honda need help please and thank you

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had exact issue. Was a pinhole leak in the gas tank. The tank has a protector on the front of it that hold gravel and presses it (and water) against the tank. So over time the rocks grind on the tank with vibration and the water "rusts" the area (at least that's what I found on my tank).

I replaced the filler tube gasket before I found the small hole. Luckily I found a tank in excellent shape, steamed, pressure tested and thoroughly under coated it. The tank shield is left off my car. I don't drive on gravelly roads so the thick undercoat should prevent any rock punctures.

Although, mine wasn't dropping from the mudflap. You'll have to look your tank and tube over closely.

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
Do you only notice it on a full tank of gas if so it could be the fill tube where it conects to the tank. Also after a longer drive unscrew the gas cap and see if there is a lot of pressure build up in the tank there will be some but not alot maybe you are pushing fluid out of the neck by access pressure those are just some odd things to check. And check if it does it with the car running and check the feed and return line on top of the tank for a pin hole that could be spraying over there and running down.

Aug 29, 2011
new york
Thanks guys I was able to check it today it had stoped dripping earlier and it looks like its coming from where the filler neck attaches to the tank but I will have to wait for next weekend so I can drop the tank and pressure test it because I filled it up last night does anyone know if there is a gasket there I would hope so

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There is. The gasket kit (OEM) exists and they give you new bolts as well if I recall. When you drop the tank, if it's dusty don't clean it. The dirt will show you where any leaks are.

You can do the full tube gasket with the tank on the car but it's a tad difficult to get at 2 of the bolts.

If you drop the tank and haven't done a fuel pump upgrade, now might be an ideal time

Aug 29, 2011
new york
Perfect thanks, I did notice some of the bolts are difficult to get to while the tank is on the car so I prefer to drop it, thanks for reminding me I picked up a walboro fuel pump over a year ago so I think this might be the perfect time to pop that in lol

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
If you replace the fuel pump as well make sure to get the gasket for the fuel pumper hanger as well. That would also be a good time to replace your fuel filter if you haven't done so already.