Help! dont want to push start my car anymore..

streetdreamz

May 8, 2008
YumaAz/KingcityCA/L.A Ca
the other day i was going to lunch with my girlfriend and her friends and when it was time to leave my car didnt want to start(so they had to push it while i pop'd the clutch lol). it doesnt crank over or sound like its even trying to crank over. I know its something electrical and i checked the ign. fuse and thats not it. wut else could it be? help please!!!:1zhelp:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The dreaded Toyota click.

A temporary fix is to clean up your battery terminals and grounds (emery cloth and polish up the electrical connections)... if that helps, a permenent fix suprarx7nut posted. But if neither does anything for the problem, it could be the starter.

Good luck.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
sounds like a lot of fun pushing the car :sarcasm: I'm sure it will be fixed as stated above once you get a new starter. Does your car do this all the time or does it just do it once in a while?

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
if u can get the terminal off of the battery cable running to the starter check it for corrision on my donor car it was the prblem it woudlnt start there was a click right behind the starter relay and replaced the starter relay it wasnt it new abttery wasnt it so than ic hecked the cable ad their was corrision and the green corision ran down into the cassin of the wire so check that if u can and if so its a cheap fix its like a $7 cable fomr autozone htey have one that fits perfectly i think its the 35 inch one and they hace the one with the battery terminal and the ring terminal on the other end

streetdreamz

May 8, 2008
YumaAz/KingcityCA/L.A Ca
well once in yuma, az where i use to live it did this a couple times. the car would work fine then i stop at the store or somewhere and when i came back the car wouldnt start. so i would tow it to my house and the next morning it would turn on just fine. and then it would work fine for a couple of months then same thing again. well when i took a long drive over to my new residence the prob. just went away because this hasnt happend for a couple months. until now:nono:. and i checked the cable all the way to the starter and its all good as well as the terminals.:1zhelp:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Possible problems (I can think of right now):

1. Starter
2. Starter relay
3. Clutch safety Switch
4. Wiring
5. Ignition Switch

Start with the easy.

First turn the ignition to "On", and check to see if you are getting 12 Volts to the plug on your starter.

Next, take the car out of gear and set the parking brake. Turn ignition to "on". Get under car, and remove the wiring harness plug from the starter. Now remove the positive battery cable from the starter. Touch the end of the battery cable to the contact in the starter, and you will quickly know if the starter works.

If starter is good, your problem lies between the key and the plug the plug on your wiring harness.

Next are two problem areas.

First, you mentioned not hearing a click. That already points to your starter relay in the passenger side kick panel. I believe it is a green unit. If your ignition switch and clutch safety are working, you should hear a click from that passenger floorboard area.

If no click, check to be sure you are making good contact to the clutch safety switch when you clutch pedal is fully depressed.

If so, and still no click, you can either pick one of those 3 parts to start replacing, or search for answers on how to narrow it down to 1 of the 3.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I had the same problem with mine and my wife's car. Here's what I did.

I connected one 10guage wire to the starter and one the the posistive post of the battery. I then connected both of those to a push button starter and mounted it up under the steering column where you cant' even see it. Now whenever my car plays hard to start, I push the button and it fires up everytime. We also did the same thing to jugodegolfs car as well. It's definately one of the best things I've ever did. I also went back and added a fusible link to both of them. I hope this helps.

P.S. You still have to have the key turned on or it will just turn over and over. I now use this when checking my compression and when I want to oil the turbo without it starting.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
suprahero;1129054 said:
I had the same problem with mine and my wife's car. Here's what I did.

I connected one 10guage wire to the starter and one the the posistive post of the battery. I then connected both of those to a push button starter and mounted it up under the steering column where you cant' even see it. Now whenever my car plays hard to start, I push the button and it fires up everytime. We also did the same thing to jugodegolfs car as well. It's definately one of the best things I've ever did. I also went back and added a fusible link to both of them. I hope this helps.

P.S. You still have to have the key turned on or it will just turn over and over. I now use this when checking my compression and when I want to oil the turbo without it starting.

Jay, I had this done to mine as well. But, when I replaced my wiring harness with an almost brand new one, the need went away for that. I think that's close to the same premise as the procedure in Ideal's thread that was posted, but he uses a relay.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I didn't see anyone post it so I just put down what worked for mine. I've replaced my starter relay and it didn't help. I'm getting power to everything in the car, but it won't start. I mash the button and it fires up everytime. I don't really care why it does it, as long as it does...........:icon_bigg

streetdreamz

May 8, 2008
YumaAz/KingcityCA/L.A Ca
hey sorry it took so long to reply but man i am going to feel so dumb when i tell u guyz what the prob. was!!!:nono: well i first off forgot to mention i have an aftermarket alarm and well i thought that the starter kill from the alarm was it so i took off the alarm. Well while i was taking it off i noticed that i forgot to disable the factory alarm! so the starter kill from the factory alarm was wut caused it not to turn on. So in conclusion the prob. was that the factory alarm was the prob. and all i had to do was lock the car and unlock it with the key.:nono:

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
My problem is the car cranks and cranks and then will finally start, mostly in cold weather. I think my issue is different then most of yours? It sounds like you guys aren't cranking, but just hearing a clicking. Anyone have this issue?

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Don't mean to jack the thread in any way, but I have a very similar problem.

I have an 88 7M-GE A/T. This morning, I went to start my car and here's what happened: turned the key to the "on" position and all electronics inside the car worked. Then I turned it to "start" and all of the power in the entire car went out. I turned the key back and the power was still off. I tried to jump start the car but still nothing. My battery is fully charged (took it to Autozone to have it tested); most of my fuses are brand-new. I relayed all of this information to the people working there, they suggested it might be the starter solenoid.
I need second opinions on this (preferably from people on here who may have had similar problems) before I take it to a mechanic.

Thanks very much