Help diagnose transmission noise

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I have swapped in a 2JZ-GTE into my mkIII. I used to use the mkIV automatic transmission with a custome drive shaft. It was noisy so I exchanged the transmission for a 1999 Soarer A340. It has the same plugs for the valve body as the JZA80 transmission so the stock JZA80 ECU it can actually handle the transmission.

Unfortunately the transmission now makes a high pitched sound when put into drive. No problems in park or in reverse. The sound is worse when the transmission is cold and can go away when it is warm, but not always. It starts a couple of seconds after the car is put in to drive for the first time.

It sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XVdnmuQoHI

Any suggestions to what causes it?

It drives absolutely perfect. Actually better than the JZA80 transmission.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Is this the same noise as the previous trans?

I would replace the filter, fluid and clean the magnet. See if that changes anything.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
No the other transmission was silent apart from the custom one piece driveshaft which made a lot of noise when driving at high speed.

Fluid looked clean and as if it had been changed recently.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
No it doesn't have line pressure cable.

I think the noise is only present i 1st gear. When driving the noise starts one or two seconds after it changes down to first gear.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
im leaning towards its just noise from the oil pump bypass in the tranny, my jeep with the A340 makes the same noise. seems normal so i wouldnt worry about it to much