help! crankshaft timing pulley

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
My timing belt kept riding back, so I started looking around and realized my crankshaft timing pulley did not match the pictures in my repair manual and I am pretty sure this is what keeps causing my belt to ride back.

pictures....

p1162052_1.jpg

p1162052_2.jpg

According to the pictures in my manual there is susposed to be another washer on the backside. Is the washer type piece suspose to be attached to the pulley? Normally if a part comes further apart, such as washers and gaskets the manual breaks them down too, but it does not show the washers coming off of the pulley.

thanks

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
Same thing happened to me.
Chewed up my timing belt. The second time it happened it broke my oilpump gear. I guess it can happen from being outworn (i.e. too old) or perhaps applying tension on the tensioner when tightening it down to make the belt tighter (my mistake).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The original gear isn't crimped in as many places as the replacement gear is, guess they noticed it as being a problem...

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
cartert;1162052 said:
My timing belt kept riding back, so I started looking around and realized my crankshaft timing pulley did not match the pictures in my repair manual and I am pretty sure this is what keeps causing my belt to ride back.

pictures....

p1188428_1.jpg

p1188428_2.jpg

According to the pictures in my manual there is susposed to be another washer on the backside. Is the washer type piece suspose to be attached to the pulley? Normally if a part comes further apart, such as washers and gaskets the manual breaks them down too, but it does not show the washers coming off of the pulley.

thanks

Is it possible to get away without having the washer? because when i did my timing belt, my ring was all bent out and stuff and never put it back in. I don't think the Toyota dealership sells the ring seperately.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, as the belt will move around wearing on the front or rear plate. He's missing both in the pics.

The washer is crimped onto the pulley and the part was something like $45 from the dealer when I had to replace mine.

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
I'm missing the front washer, and the belt does seem to be moving slightly forward. That explains it! I think the new replacement pulleys come with those washers welded on now, it's all one piece.

landspeedrich

Nov 5, 2008
Chicagoland
Apostle;1188739 said:
I'm missing the front washer, and the belt does seem to be moving slightly forward. That explains it! I think the new replacement pulleys come with those washers welded on now, it's all one piece.

Normally at least one of the gearbelt pulleys in a gearbelt drive system has to have those washers (flanges) .On the print presses I serviced,we always staked or peened or better yet tack welded the pulleys flanges.Even new pulleys.Unless all pulleys are perfectly aligned (not always)geared timing belts will walk off.Just my two cents.