HELP! Car running like crap after BHG fix

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
Ok, a little background first. I bought the car a couple weeks ago with a BHG. I got it, fixed it with a new felpro HG, ARP bolts and a complete top end gasket kit. Put the crank pulley on 0 aligned both cam sprockets with the marks and ajusted the CPS to set the timing at 11*. Everything seemed to fit together real nicley. Now my problem. The car has no power, you can stomp it and it just doesnt go anywhere at least fast anyways. Once the boost kicks in (5-6psi) it falls flat on its face and is slower then when not in boost. I cant really describe the way it feels, maybe like its not getting enough gas under boost. It pulls harder when you roll into the gas versus WOT under boost. Ive got 4 ses codes:

14- Ignition signal
24- Intake Air Temp Sensor Signal
31- Air flow Meter Signal
52- Knock Sensor signal

Ive got and extra igniter to swap out so maybe/hopefully that will cure the 14 ses code.

Can anybody post a pic or a description to where the IAT sensor is? It may not be plugged up from the BHG.

I just put a new MAF on it and still getting this code. Is there something else that could cause this code?

I figured the knock sensor would through this code, one of the plugs was all messed up so I rewired it and it was and insulated wire so I wasnt sure how to wire it. I bacically just spliced it, and put a wire connector on it to another wire. I guess it can be done that way.

So anybody have any ideas of suggestions to look for?

Thanks!

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
It falls flat on its face under boost?

Sounds like a boost leak. Do you hear a loud "SWOOSH" sound?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The symptoms of keeping boost but weak power sounds like the timing is off. Possibly getting retarded by the ECU. That wouldn't explain the codes though (except knock sensor.) You could try turning the timing down some.

Also the 7mgte doesn't have an IAT as far as I know. Was this an NA car?

I live in Birmingham so if you need a hand or some spare parts let me know.

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
Ok, a little up date. Got rid of all the codes except the 52 code. I know why its throwing the code though. Its the way its wired I bet.

Swaped out the igniter and got rid of that code, the maf code disapeared, and I found a valve looking thing under the intake just behind the alternator that didnt have the vaccum lines pluged up nor was it plug into the main harness. Fixed that. Then took it out for a drive.

The swoosh you describe above, I do hear it and its loud. It sounds like the turbo is blowing out under the hood. Its kind of a BOV sound but constantly. Now it spits and sputters under boost. I didnt think I was going to make it back home. Will a boost leak make a car run like this?

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
staticpat said:
The symptoms of keeping boost but weak power sounds like the timing is off. Possibly getting retarded by the ECU. That wouldn't explain the codes though (except knock sensor.) You could try turning the timing down some.

Also the 7mgte doesn't have an IAT as far as I know. Was this an NA car?

I live in Birmingham so if you need a hand or some spare parts let me know.

Yeah it will hold steady at at 5psi. I checked the timing again and it was at 11* Nope it was a turbo car.

Where abouts do you live? Maybe I can try to meet you somewhere so you can see what its doing and see what you think.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
If you hit the point at which it starts to boost, and then you hear a SWOOOOOOOOOSH (yes exactly like a BOV), its pretty much guarenteed to be a boost leak.

The turbo starts to spool, and its hits a certain PSI and wooooosh out comes all the air through the leak. I drove my friends Talon and his upper IC pipe clamp loosened, and I went to get on it, and it revved.... then hit about 3000 rpms... then .. nothing. the car instantly just quit accelerating.

Check every pipe and connection from turbo to Ic and anywhere in between. Do a pressurized boost leak check.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Yea, chances are you undid alot of that crap for the BHG, and forgot to tighten a clamp or somethin.

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
staticpat said:
I live in Hoover but I commute to Gadsden fairly regularly. We have a boost leak tester around if you have an air compressor handy.

Sure do.. Whens the next time your going to gadsden? You go right by my house off of 59n Springville exit. Im going to put it on my lift this weekend and swap out all the intercooler pipes with some extras I have laying aroung. Hopefully that will be my problem.

supraman24

Trooper
Apr 12, 2007
Prattville, Alabama
If y'all ever wanna have a little Supra meet, there are a few guys with Supras here in Prattville. I have a lot of spare parts too that I am trying to get rid of if y'all are interested in anything particular that I may have. Just PM me with something you need and I'll let you know if I have a spare or anything.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
ummm unless i read something wrong...you have a code 52 still.

its NOT a boost leak...the ecu is retarding the timing like crazy under boost due to the code 52.

the turbo will spool and it will sound like it should be going somewhere but it will be slow as balls....

fix the knock sensor wiring and get rid of code 52 and it will drive properly.

also the 7m DOES have a IAT...its inside of the AFM.

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
Idealsupra said:
ummm unless i read something wrong...you have a code 52 still.

its NOT a boost leak...the ecu is retarding the timing like crazy under boost due to the code 52.

the turbo will spool and it will sound like it should be going somewhere but it will be slow as balls....

fix the knock sensor wiring and get rid of code 52 and it will drive properly.

also the 7m DOES have a IAT...its inside of the AFM.

Ok, Im bout to go rewire the knock sensor wire now. and will report back in a sec with a update.

Thanks!