Help..bhg???

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
Alrite, well i guess i got a lazy cousin, who has a supra.. his supra's termostats is jumping up and down..replaced the radiator cap and also the termostat..still having the same problem..still have overflow coolant water from the reservoir.. do you guys think that's a bhg??? thanks

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
it does sound like a bhg but also try burping the system to see if that helps... but from the sound of things, it does sound like a bhg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Wording this a little better will surely get more responses. ;)

Is there a 'Water fall' or 'Toilet Flushing' sound heard when the car is started for the first time?

Is the coolant overflow resevoir cap popping off?

Does the oil look like your favorite brand of chocolate milk?

Does the oil dipstick pop out after a hard run?

Is there coolant on the bottom of your oil cap?

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
I really don't think so, but I'm no supra expert. I mean I hear it on a cold engine if i rev it to 1500 - 2000 rpm for a second or 2 and thats it. My car is mostly stock low miles with no typical bhg symptoms.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
mine always has the sound of a waterfall ...but then gain i have a a small blockage in my heater core. I've had my bhg twice in my cars history, but my compression test and block tester says mine is not blown. :icon_bigg

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
CajunKenny;1257261 said:
Wording this a little better will surely get more responses. ;)

Is there a 'Water fall' or 'Toilet Flushing' sound heard when the car is started for the first time?

Is the coolant overflow resevoir cap popping off?

Does the oil look like your favorite brand of chocolate milk?

Does the oil dipstick pop out after a hard run?

Is there coolant on the bottom of your oil cap?

I have a question. I red some of the BHG threads, but i'm still not convinced that i found the answer. O.k. let's start from the top. Car runs and idles fine. Although it a bit hard to start on a cold engine. It takes 4-5 starter turns at least. After that she runs fine. There is white smoke from the exhaust, but not that visible then it's warm outside. Flushing sound is present on the start up. Also, that sound appears when i change heater position form cold to hot and back. Coolant is dissapearing also, but not consistently. For example, i can abuse it all day long. Reving to the redline, doing dohnuts and so on. Temp stays normal, no coolant rush in the overflow reservoir or it's cap popping off and the coolant isn't disapearing. But, sometimes i have to add about 1 L of coolant in the radiator. It's not consistent. The oil looks clean. No "milk" in it. No exhaust smell form overflow reservoir. We'll ewerything seems fine. Just that the coolant is black. My guess, it is just very old. This weekend i'll be changing the oil, coolant and so on. I'll try burping the system also. If all the criterias of BHG don't match, what then?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
BHG's can show themselves in different ways. They don't always leak coolant into the oil but you could still have exhaust getting in the coolant and visa versa. Get a real block tester from somewhere that tests the cooling for exhaust gases. Smelling the coolant is not always good enough.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
enjoyer;1297544 said:
I have a question. I red some of the BHG threads, but i'm still not convinced that i found the answer. O.k. let's start from the top. Car runs and idles fine. Although it a bit hard to start on a cold engine. It takes 4-5 starter turns at least. After that she runs fine. There is white smoke from the exhaust, but not that visible then it's warm outside. Flushing sound is present on the start up. Also, that sound appears when i change heater position form cold to hot and back. Coolant is dissapearing also, but not consistently. For example, i can abuse it all day long. Reving to the redline, doing dohnuts and so on. Temp stays normal, no coolant rush in the overflow reservoir or it's cap popping off and the coolant isn't disapearing. But, sometimes i have to add about 1 L of coolant in the radiator. It's not consistent. The oil looks clean. No "milk" in it. No exhaust smell form overflow reservoir. We'll ewerything seems fine. Just that the coolant is black. My guess, it is just very old. This weekend i'll be changing the oil, coolant and so on. I'll try burping the system also. If all the criterias of BHG don't match, what then?

I'd check for a small coolant leak. I was losing coolant having to refill it about once a month, because I had a leak from my radiator drain. Something like that would only leak under pressure, so it mostly only leaks while driving. Check everywhere, including on the passenger side under the glovebox, in case your heater core is leaking. Old coolant loses it's corrosion inhibitors, so you may have caused a problem.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok. Start with changing your oil and coolant.

Then acquire a coolant pressure tester. They're available everywhere. Napa, Autozone, Sears... Even better if a buddy has one you can borrow. They come with various caps to accommodate most all radiators. Pressurize to approximately 1.5 bar (~21 psi) and see if pressure drops.

Watch both your oil and your coolant drain from start to finish. Make sure you don't see any coolant drain out of your oil pan and vice versa.

Then pressure test the coolant system and post findings.

Good luck!

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
You can also rent them for free from Autozone and the likes!

Make sure the pressure doesn't bleed off. If it does you have a leak.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
There's one thing that you all haven't noticed:). I'm not from USA. There aren't any such firms here. But that's not a problem. I have a tester in my workshop. Although, it is suited for trucks.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
O.k. back to the issue. I've done a few tests. So, if i allways start the car with the heater switch on cold position, there's no flushing sound. Also, no flushing sound driving with the switch on cold position. If i start the car with the heater switch on hot, flushing is present. Flushing also is well heard while driving with heat on. If i'm driving on cold position and switch to heat, flushing occurs again. Also, today at a light, with the heat on, i heard a new sound behind the flushing sound. It sounds something like... Well, if you take a balloon and start letting the air out very slowly. The sound is something like that. It's coming from the vents or from the heater. Well, somewhere from the dash. Another thing i noticed is, that when i'm driving without using the heater, coolant loss is much smaller than with the heat on. There's no coolant dripping from under the car. Also, there's no coolant inside the car on the floor. So, i'm a bit confused...