Help assembling coilovers... Pics and details inside. Thanks!

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
So I am putting together a set of Tein Street Advance (basically improved Super Streets) Coilovers and have a question regarding the assembly with the OEM (I bought new KYBs) Mounts.
Here is the procedure per Tein for the rear:
WvCur1M.jpg

It states to use the "bump stopper" and then the "collar", when all of it is assembled and the mount installed, the mount rocks quite a bit due to the collar not allowing the bump stopper to seat with the base of the mount. See pics:
The pieces involved in this puzzle:
yieehXK.jpg
Picture of the bump stopper, the collar and the mount, note that the base of the tapered bump stopper doesn't contact the mount.
aLjffr1.jpg
This picture shows just the bump stopper without the collar in place, the base of the stopper seats on the mount, but there is about a 3mm gap between the top of the bump stopper and the inside of the mount (around the piston rod hole).
KCXxwmK.jpg
I hope all this is making sense. I am wondering if this collar is necessary??? Basically with the collar on-top of the bump stopper, the collar is the only piece making contact with the mount, without the collar, the base and the taper of the bump stopper make contact with the mount, but not the top (3mm gap).

What do I do? Install as picture in the Tein Manual (note these coilovers are designed to be used with the stock mounts), or do I delete the collar and run without it. As a side note, the threaded portion of the piston rod is long enough that the top washer and nut will secure the mount to the bump stopper with or without the collar.

Thanks in advance! I am hoping to get these installed this weekend. I will be running them with the EDFC Active :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Run it like the directions say.

The "bump stop" should not rest against the top mount.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Just so I completely understand you, when you say "bump stop" we are referring to the pictured metal stopper and not the "bump rubber" that sits atop the piston and is listed in the manual. Correct?

Thanks for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it.