help 7mgte wont start

I bought my 7mgte n previous owner said it stop turning couple weeks ago.....crank pulley turns smoothly so its not siezed but previous owner did say he messed wit the timing wen he changed the cam gears could that be the problem? Car does nothing wen key is turned

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Define 'nothing'.
You mean there is no engine rotation, I assume?
If this is the case, first ensure that the battery is charged.
If so, check the ALT fuse in the fuse box. It is the loop of wire(fusible link).

If the previous owner messed with cam timing, or cps timing, the car may not start, but it would crank over.
Sounds to me like either a blown fuse, starter relay isn't functioning/ bad wire, or something was left disconnected when previous owner tinkered with it.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
"nothing" being no crank AND no lights/radio/acc? or just no crank? the 7m starting system is no different than any other system. its got a starter, battery, ignition cyl, relays, fuses. start at battery, than starter relay(search it) etc etc...

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
travweek;1782250 said:
The wiring looks pretty good last owner changed the headgasket 5k ago...I wonder if I should juss go 1j and juss sell this motor for a quick 300

If you cant figure out a simple wiring problem on the 7m, youre sure as shit not going to accomplish any thing with a 1j/2j swap.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
1. Have you checked the ALT fusible link in the fusebox yet?
2. If that's good, Check to make sure the neg. cable is tight to the block on the lower driver's side,
and the pos. cable is tight to the starter as well.
3. Then check the condition of both terminals on the battery. They must be clean as well as tight.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
MDCmotorsports;1782344 said:
If you cant figure out a simple wiring problem on the 7m, youre sure as shit not going to accomplish any thing with a 1j/2j swap.

+1 to that. It really sounds like a bad connection. Just check all your connections as already suggested. Sounds like a lose ground to me.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
bad ground connection from main ground at battery to side of block
remove ground, clean with sand paper to bare metal and reinstall

if problem still exist then you have a power signal issue
like other said check alt fuse if ok
then grab a multimeter and follow wires while checking for voltage

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Check the battery voltage of course but there's a small blue wire from batt + to fuse box that I've seen cause this a couple of times

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Woa-
Had blown some fuses?
There's where your problem lies.
Not in the fuses themselves, probably, but in the short(s) that blew them in the first place.
Keep us posted, as there is nothing more frustrating than everybody putting in their effort to help, and never hearing the solution/ results.
:)