Hello from the Pacific Northwest

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Hi, my name is Toby and I have had a 1989 Supra Turbo for about three years now.

It was a sad sequence of events that led to my purchase of the car, but I do enjoy having it a lot.

Having always loved and trusted "classic" Toyotas I didn't research the car as well as I probably should have, but I feel like I got pretty lucky. It has ran great, and now that I have been learning more about it I am fixing lots of things I probably should have three years ago :p (Embarassing example, been running with a dead bypass valve all this time. But about a month ago I finally got boost!)

I am still getting up to speed on how to post pictures, so my profile picture is the best I can do for showing off the car right now. Sorry about that!

As for my plans for the car, I am hoping to do a full restoration. The car is not bad to look at by any means, thanks in part to Griot's Garage and a lot of Saturday afternoons, but I want it perfect!

Looking forward to lots of fun car talk in the future here at SupraMania!

Also, I just have to say that the guy behind Cygnus X1 is my hero. So sad what happened to his beautiful Supra.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Thanks for the welcome messages!

So I don't take enough pictures...which is why I have no pictures of my dearly departed 1987 MR2. But here is what I have for the Supra so far:

No Plate.jpg
This is of my car stitting right out front of the doors of the Salish lodge near Snoqualmie falls. Usually Ferarris and other such vehicles get this spot, but the valets are the coolest group in the place and put my Supra in the premier spot!

Side Top Out.jpg
The car always looked a little orange to me, so I finally gave polishing a shot. I was amazed at the results. Sadly the pic is from a cell phone so it is not great.

Wheel.JPG
Love Toyota alloy designs from the 80's. Would only change if I could get a lightweight copy!

Last edited:

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow, car looks great! Have to appreciate a MKIII in stock form. What's the mileage on the car?

Funny you mention valet because I'm a valet myself haha. Though staging a car costs $20 where I work, I'd do it for free (I'd get in trouble for this lol) if a MKIII ever comes by.

Well, welcome to SM!

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Thanks for the welcome messages!

I am quite jealous of you Supra28, I so wish I still lived back east... If you are ever driving through Grove City and see a supercharged MR2 in Orange Pearl Mica sadly decaying in a driveway don't think ill of me :p

My car has 196K or so miles. I think it was at 180K when I bought it three years ago, but I cannot remember for sure. The previous owner was the original purchaser and he drove the car to Florida and back multiple times, but for the most part he was pretty good to it. (He also paid Toyota for 2 BHGs...the second repair appears to have been done correctly. Fingers crossed!)

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
So this is probably the coolest pic I could ever attach. Very happy the original owner kept it:

SupraSticker.jpg

If only a car as cool as the Supra was available for that price today!

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I pretty much live in Grove City! LOL. What part of GC were you at and when?? And I've yet to see a orange MR2, well maybe...a pic would confirm it.

What a small world!

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
I lived in various spots around Grove City, what I would call the classic central residential area between Broadway and Hoover Road and within a few blocks of Columbus Street. Most of my family is still there, and as soon as I win the lottery I am heading back!

Out in Washington I have to import LaRosa's pizza sauce as no one makes a good pizza around here. Pagaliacci's is probably the best local place, but they don't beat LaRosa's, Donatos, or Flyers!

Well, if you cruise the streets of GC you might catch a glimpse of that MR2. Sadly it has been sitting in my mom's driveway for about 8 years now, so who knows how much work it would take to get it going again. I probably should have reclaimed it when my S2000 was mostly stolen, but I bought the Supra at that time and ended up liking it too much to give up on!

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Oh, how cool is that!! We.come to SM! I am new myself, also from the PNW. I will be heading up to one of your Seattle meets here soon once my car is painted. Maybe I'll run into you! :)

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
loc182;1953442 said:
Finally found the Google street view pic of the MR2:

View attachment 68803

Glad I got this, the newer image shows only that bush growing out of control!
I've got one to with me and my roommate working on my mk3 and his 300zx. I saw the google mAps car drive by and now when I look at my address at any angle, it's a different look.lol

I

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Faye;1957181 said:
...here soon once my car is painted.

Oh no, are you giving up the Ice Blue Pearl? It is such a nice color! Saw a 86-88 era Celica GTS in that color last night that looked like it had just come off the assembly line!

Hopefully I can make it to a meet, sadly my car is under massive construction at the moment. Found this once I finally got all three valve covers off:

Oil Cooler.jpg

Time to replace that center valley cover :p

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
mcammarn;1957197 said:
I've got one to with me and my roommate working on my mk3 and his 300zx. I saw the google mAps car drive by and now when I look at my address at any angle, it's a different look.lol

That is awesome they got the action shot with the hood up!

Is that 300ZX an 86-89 model?

Silly Google doesn't even believe the street I live on exists... I was impressed that Bing had it with in 6 months.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
loc182;1957425 said:
That is awesome they got the action shot with the hood up!

Is that 300ZX an 86-89 model?

Silly Google doesn't even believe the street I live on exists... I was impressed that Bing had it with in 6 months.
Yea that's a 86. My roomate loves z vehicles! He also has a 91 300zx as well.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Nice, that car was very cool. There is (was?) a nice 87 for sale in Redmond. Didn't make me want to give up my Supra, but I was trying to convince some co-workers to buy it!