Heli Coil thread (thread... get it!? ;-)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
One of my front seat belt anchor points are stripped. Looking to heli coil and wondered if anyone else has done it already and knows the drill bit/insert sizes to use.

I also need to heli-coil one of my hatch bump stops' bolts...

Please add other areas where you've successfully used heli-coil (and tips/writeups, size used). Results?

Not looking to start a debate-thread on fastener recommendations, just looking to see what others have actually been able to do with heli-coil.

-E

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
id rather not trust a heli coil for my seat belt, but thats just me...theyre great for exhaust studs and such but i look at it this way, would you heli coil your brake caliper?

i think the best solution would be to cut the original nut thats welded to the floor and weld a new one on, but thats just what id do

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Dunno about cutting into the metal, to get to and replace/weld a new nut, to then weld the cut metal to close things back up. What would that cost to do at a body shop?

Lots of folks swear by heli-coil and it seems trusted for work, similar to this. They swear it's stronger than it was before.

I have a few other stripped things to fix like this (MKIV targa, bump stop, etc), so am probably gonna heli-coil them. Haven't fully decided on the seat belt anchor bolt/nut yet. I may do it to buy time, 'til I replace with racing seats/harness bar at some later point.