Heater Core kicked the bucket?

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
The past couple days my heater stopped working. Engine would warm up like normal but the heater would never blow hot. Every once in awhile it would be just a little warm but barely above ambient. I figured it was my control valve as its acted up before. Well finally got a break in the weather and decided to vacumm out my car. I pulled out the drivers floor mat and started vaccumming and i notice a fluid at the top corner. I smelled it...coolant. So I peaked under the dash and this is what I found...

p1691739_3.jpg

p1691739_4.jpg

p1691739_5.jpg

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
CyFi6;1691746 said:
check your hose connection at the drivers side firewall. Its possible that if that one is leaking it could leak coolant inside the car.

Its definitely worth a shot to check. Even still, doing a heater core in these cars is WAY better then most cars since the dash comes out fairly easily. I did my homework before starting the job and had it done in 5.5 hrs give or take.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well I checked that hose and it is good and tight. I just replaced it and the clamps about 3k ago but absolutely no residue or signs of leaking from that hose. So Im thinking its gotta be coming from the core. So ill do some looking into replacing the core. 5.5 hours isnt too bad. Guess I got a time frame to beat now. :)

SoulSupra

Supra for the Soul
Jan 14, 2011
ON
Sometimes it not the heater core but the o-rings where the heater core connects to the pipe that go out through the firewall.
You still would have to remove your dash, vents and heater box to inspect though.
I just did mine over the winter while I finished the engine job. I couldn't find any sign of leaks but replace the o-rings and heater core since I already had it pulled.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
If im pulling off the dash I might as well replaced the whole unit. Its an original core so odd are it wont last much longer even if it is just the o rings. Ill definitely be trying to find the exact leak tho.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Mine was just leaking at the o-rings but I opted to replace the hole thing too. Now theres reassurance that its not going to go again for another 20+ years.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I had to replace mine due to a BHG at 5200 rpm. Along with the radiator...

As stated, it's not too bad. Easily done in a weekend.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Okay so I finally got around to pulling the heater core but I need a pointer or two before I tear apart the wrong thing. Ive got the whole dash off but cant seem to figure out what exactly to pull to reveal the heater core itself. Ive read that the assembly slides out from the whole box? Here are some pictures of where Im at. If anyone can point me in the right direction thatd be great.

And just a little side note...is there supposed to be a sticker on the hatch pull lever or was toyota lazy?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need top pull the white box out. Then take some of it apart remove core and then reassemble.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Well I finally grew a pair last weekend and got the box out. Really wasnt all the difficult once I realized I could take out the dash bar. Dont know why but I thought it was welded in under the bolts...dont ask. Lol. And after getting the core out I found out it wasnt actually my core thats bad. Its the pipe coming in from the engine through the fire wall. I bent it aparently while doing the head work awhile back and it was running down the pipe and dripping onto the gas pedal. So now im trying to find a replacement pipe which toyota cant get and no one wants to did into their partout car to get me it..its looking like ill have to go visit picknpull this weekend.

Here are some pictures of what everything looks like for anyone searching how to pull a heater core as i never found any pictures of the actual core removal.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Dammit! there is a sticker there. Ill add that to the list of IMPOSSIBLE things to find that i need to get. haha Shoot i could draw that with a sharpie on sticker paper.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
FYI, I've done numerous Supra heater cores, and all of those but one had A/C. I never disconnected anything A/C related. You just have to be meticulous and careful.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Were you ever able to find the tubes? And did they just not find the part numbers or were they discontinued?

I've got my new core in my closet waiting for me to order the tubes (have part #s) and orings as the original tubes are crushed.

Would like to get it done before I move back north later this year.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
shaeff-im sure i could have done it without pulling the lines looking at everything now but it was my first one so i wanted to pull the whole box out and inspect everything. Next one will be much easier.

mk222-the parts guy said there is no record of them ever being available. he showed me his screen with the exploded view and it clearly showed both pipes and clips seperated from the heater core, but there were no numbers for them. he even went in back and looked at the original scansheets they used back in the day and those didnt have numbers on them either. So i guess youre sol on getting them new from anywhere. Gotta find used. I have a lead on a set here but im gonna hit up the picknpull this weekend and see if i can find a good set.