Heater core actuator thing leaking (heater matrix?)

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hello everybody, I noticed my car was leaking some coolant and it was starting to worry me.
I traced it down and found out it was the heater core valve actuator thing.

Believe it or not I actually found one from a junkyard, and I hope it doesn't leak ha ha. But what I want to know is that if the bar going into the little bell housing is supposed be so tough to move up and down. Please let me know if it is or if it's supposed to be easy free-flowing

Thanks

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ok well that's good to know that's its supposed to be taught so to say.

However JJ and GrimJack, you shed some very nice light on my situation!

Now when you say 'same difference' does that mean it actually is the same, or there is slight modification to be had?
Vsv is the same and lines are the same?

I'm trying to fix this issue a.s.a.p. I hate things leaking.

Thank you again guys, big help so far

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It means that the Corolla and Prism are the same part. (Basically they're the same car, mechanically.) The part will just work. It's the same size inlet/outlet, the same vacuum fitting. Interchangeable.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ What he said. Although the part isn't identical to the Supra valve it works fine. Need to remove the bracket and lever it comes with, flip it over, and install the old lever and bracket. Search around for the Four Seasons p/n or look on Ebay. Why Toymotor doesn't sell the Supra part by itself is a mystery. I suspect money is involved...

edit: http://tinyurl.com/lohrnyn

see post 17

jimmymc6g

Feb 19, 2013
Colorado
Just curious, what exactly is the reason for this valve? Like what would be the disadvantages if it were to be bypassed? I've heard of people doing it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
It's used to extract maximum performance from the AC system. In most cars with such valves the setting at which they close is labeled "MAX AC". Supras simply use lowest temp set point instead. With the valve left open my tests showed a loss of 5-10 degrees of AC goodness. YMMV...

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Please excuse the ignorance as I am sure it is a simple Mechanism to figure out. If I'm understanding correctly, this valve should actually be open at all times, this way the coolant goes to the heater core. The reason why I say this is because my heat would never work until I zip tied tired the lever on the bell housing up therefore letting the cooling travel through. So what it's pretty much doing is always staying Closed and that's why the Heat wouldn't work, right?

Now I noticed a couple people said that they bypassed this and always have it open.

If I am understanding the system correctly, all that will potentially do would be To not have the most optimal cold air conditioning correct?

So basically by bypassing this, coolant would always be flowing through the system and through the heater core, and not being able to have absolutely cold air-conditioning. But if that's the case I am okay with that, because my air conditioning is still really cold on 66°

If that is correct please let me know.

Also, for those that have. How do you go about bypassing this?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
The answers to all your questions are yes. You can bypass the valve by zip tying it open, connecting the vacuum hose directly to keep it open, or removing the valve altogether. Since yours leaks that would be the best course of action. If it were me I'd replace it...