heater bypass valve

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
gotta quick question, the connector on my heater bypass valve broke and i was wondering if i could just bypass the bypass valve and just go straight from the back of the head to the hose that goes inside the car to the heater core i believe.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
well i was just gonna do this for a temp. fix untill i can get another bypas valve. so how could i just bypass the heater core all the way

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Kckazdude;1057505 said:
Yes but you will have no control over the heat. Best to bypass the heater core all together if that is your plan.
Well, 50% isn't bad.

He is correct, yes, you can.

About the heat... you'll still have control over the heat - the valve only shuts when you have the AC on full cold.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
GrimJack;1057575 said:
About the heat... you'll still have control over the heat - the valve only shuts when you have the AC on full cold.

Ummmm....if he bypasses the heater valve straight into the heater core I dont care what the AC setting is. You are getting full heat and no flow control.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kckazdude;1057580 said:
Ummmm....if he bypasses the heater valve straight into the heater core I dont care what the AC setting is. You are getting full heat and no flow control.

Not at all. The heater control valve routes coolant through the heater core even when the A/C is on. It only closes the valve when the A/C is set to the maximum. There is valving INSIDE the car to prevent air from moving through the heater core and thus heat up the outcoming air. Most cars operate this way. It helps prevent the heater core from decaying.

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali

i cant seem to find a heater core hose anywhere!!!
could that hose make you overheat if it leaks?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Kckazdude;1057580 said:
Tell you what. How about you give it a try and get back to me.

FYI, I had mine bypassed for years, hell, it's still bypassed right now, and it still blows ice cold. Or hot, if I so choose.

626na;1057679 said:
i cant seem to find a heater core hose anywhere!!!
could that hose make you overheat if it leaks?
*ANY* coolant leak *can* make you overheat.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I retract previous statement. There is a blend door that closes to cut out air flow across the heater core. I am used to seeing one or the other, not both in the same car. Not sure I understand the why of the redudnat system. Has something to do with the auto setting as far as I can tell.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
thanks a lot everyone for their help, i decided to just bypass the bypass valve, and i can have control over when and when i dont want heat.