Heat Shield Painting

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Ok, I'm ready to paint the heat shield with 2000 degree paint. I noticed there are rust on the surface, my question: Is it safe to use those rust converter spray or brush type to the heat shield before painting them? Hopefully I can do them today. TIA

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It would be better to take a wire wheel to the rust. Make sure you go over the whole shield to rough it up a bit and wipe down with lacquer thinner.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
yep, wire brushing them now. i was not sure how much temp can the rust converters takes. i'll just wire brush them and probably put 2 or 3 coats of 2000 degree alum paint. thanks jdub.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
jdub;1344003 said:
A ceramic coat for heat shields is the way to go IMO.

I don't think we have a place here in Hawaii for ceramic coating. I know we do have Powder Coating, but I have not seen any place that does ceramic coating.
That would be so nice if I can ceramic coat my exhaust manifold.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
paradox616;1343979 said:
i once painted a heat shield on my exhaust with "2000deg" paint, didnt last long... made lots of smoke,

Wire brush on a drill is the way to go just wear a mask...

From VHT site, to properly paint a piece:
You will need to prep the surface, apply the coatings at least 15 minutes interval. To cure the paint, use either an oven or a gas barbecue:

250 degrees for 20 minutes, let it cool, 350 degrees for another 20 minutes, let it cool, 450 degrees for the final 20 minutes, then let it cool.

I have yet to try this, I don't have an oven I can use for parts painting.