Heat not working. Need help troubleshooting please!

Eric

Nov 25, 2010
Louisville, Kentucky
I have a 1986.5 N/A Supra. The heat on it doesnt work and i have been going through known problems. So i was hoping based on the information i you all here on SM could give me some help!

The heater valve, the on operated by vacuum. When i take the vacuum line off of it, the little valve on the bottom of it. Kind of looks like a arm for the valve, goes straight down and sticks downward. When i put the vacuum line back on it goes straight up all the way and stays there regardless of what i do on the Climate Control on the car. Is this valve supposed to be down or up, when talking about the arm, when i have the heat on?

Also, when i leave the vacuum line off, if this is full open to the heater core, my car still doesnt blow hot air. I was thinking i might need to flush my heater core. My passenger side floorboard doesnt have any antifreeze on the floor so Im fairly sure it isnt cracked or something along those lines.

Third thing i have is that my climate control will blow AC just fine. But nothing wil ever blow out when you put it on low blow setting. So this might be a control problem. But if this was ture, would when i took the vacuum line off wouldnt matter, and im back to flushing my heater core?

Any help is appreciated, i tried to be as thorough as possible.

--Eric

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The low button/setting is likely because of the blower resistor dealio which is held on mby 1 screw, below the blower motor. You have to look up the firewall from the passenger "foot" area and see a small connector (4-wires, I think). It has 3 little curly wires in it which control the different fan speeds. I remember a fix for the Med button/setting on the SOGI site way back, but it's probably similar for the low setting. I don't know what it costs from the dealer, but you may wanna ask Jeff Watson or Curt Aigner (Forum - Toyota parts vendors/sponsors).

Good luck!

Ace

Apr 2, 2010
Paramount, California
I have a question, you cant wire the blower motor backwards so it blows the opposite direction can you? And do the seals around the air ducts, really make a difference if theyre not completely sealed cause I have my Heater on High and It doesnt blow as much air as I thought it would and the blower is pushin but nothings comin out??? Also the air is still cold but the control vavle is up constantly with full vaccum but no Heat WTH???

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Something similar happened in my 87t. I had heat one day. The next day I had no heat. My coolant is really low, below the low mark on the reservoir. Im wondering if that could affect it.

Have you checked your coolant level? Do you feel any warmth at all from the duct ares near the heater core?

Ace

Apr 2, 2010
Paramount, California
Yeh I feel alittle heat, and the coolant level is normal, but when its on high it doesnt seem like its blowing all that much air out, and its not hot or warm and I have the control to 85 ???? whats up with that?

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
The heater hose valve next to the windshield wiper motor has to be in the up (open) setting or else coolant will not make it into your HVAC system.

Ace

Apr 2, 2010
Paramount, California
Ive already checked that, Ive taken off the vaccum and put it back on and had my chick in the car changing the heater controls and it works fine. thats the only reason I question the ducts. Im pretty sure theyre not sealed. I havent had a chance within the last 2..3... days now to check anything else cause of the damn rain.