Headlight retraction switch?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm sure I'm not the only person who would like to be able to retract their headlights with the push of a button. You know, for one reason of another you turned on your headlights, but now you want them down with the markers and possibly fogs still on?

From reading the troubleshooting tips here and the diagram here I suspect that inserting a N/C momentary switch (to break the signal) in line 3 to the Retractor Control Relay would do the trick. So you would move the headlight switch one position back and then press the new retract button.

Has anyone tried this?

EDIT: Actually looking at the diagram again it looks more like the momentary switch would need to provide a momentary ground, not a break in the line.

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
^^^^ i have done it. However, i wired mine to the cigarette fuse so as long as my key is in and on ON i can turn on my fogs w/o having the headlights on or on with the parking lights. I didnt have much experience in the electrical field and it took me about an hour and 1/2. It is really easy to do it. Just make sure u check all the wires and ground carefully.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
My fog lights are rewired to come on with the marker/parking lights. I would just like to be able to turn the headlights off and retract them without turning all the lights off, wait 5 seconds and then turn my marker lights back on.

Last edited:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
The key here is to "park" the headlights without having to turn off all exterior marker lights. My friend's RX7 (or was it the Miata) had this ability.

This was something I was working on quite a few years ago. James (91T) actually wanted to figure out how to make the headlights "wink" (same basic idea). Things got busy and we never finished our projects.

Good luck with this. Looking at the electrical manual it sounds like you are on the right track (that's where we were headed too).

Keith

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Uhhhh. I still say do the rewire and use the built in function toyota did for us... Its called the stalk on the left side of the wheel.

Read the manual, it tells you a lot

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
HellsLegion said:
Uhhhh. I still say do the rewire and use the built in function toyota did for us... Its called the stalk on the left side of the wheel.

Read the manual, it tells you a lot

Asshat. :icon_razz

I'll give you guys a little more info... this *might* also end up integrated into a comparator circuit to pull the headlights down at a given speed (only if they're up of course, and it would have a photocell to prevent them from going down when it's too dark). Not sure I'm going to go that far with it, I'd never use it really, just a toy.

I know for a fact that there are some people out there who would like to be able to do this. If not, n/m, I'll keep this project to myself.

Last edited:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Way to go guys! Someone was actually "thinking" and you guys come in and $#!T on his creative process.

CRE - don't get discouraged. There are just a bunch of haters out there. I think you were on the right track. Imagine where we'd be if Edison had gotten discouraged about his lightbulb.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm not Edison, but thanks. I'll keep my posts up, but if anyone else wants any more info they can lick my N#$s.

I just love the defeatist attitude that's been growing here... let's try and see if we can make this just a little more like SF. A lot of you guys USED to be cool as hell and damned helpful... lately it seems like you can't take the time to post up anything more than "RTFM" or "I sure hope you've got a mechanic... or your poor car is doomed, nooB". Get your heads out of your asses and either contribute or take a damned vacation. YOU ARE OF NO VALUE HERE IF YOU DON'T POST ANYTHING BUT THE SLAMS, BITCH FITS AND MOANS I'VE SEEN FROM YOU LATELY! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, if you don't PM ME and I'll make sure you know.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I don't quite understand. You want the headlights to go down when you press a button, when they are in the top position ( also top on the switch)?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I think what he wants to do is have the headlights come on with out any other lights coming on eg, parking lights, tail lights, or fog lights when ever he wants. Sounds like a cool idea can't wait to see if you can get it completed.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Now that the original post is gone...

What he wants to do (and is a GREAT idea BTW) is to be able to "park" (lower) the headlights without having to turn everything all the way off, wait for the lights to go down, and then turn just the marker lights back on.

Example: Say you are driving along (I run my marker lights all the time for safety) and you drive through a nasty rainstorm. You turn on your headlights by clicking the knob to the next position. Now after the rainstorm the clouds break and it is safe to again drive without your headlights. What he wants to be able to do is turn the knob back to the marker lights on position and push a button so the headlights go down.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
KeithH said:
What he wants to do (and is a GREAT idea BTW) is to be able to "park" (lower) the headlights without having to turn everything all the way off, wait for the lights to go down, and then turn just the marker lights back on.

While I don't have as many issues with the car as some do(I often wonder why do they drive it then?), this is one for me.

That is why I redid the fogs with battery on (B+) power. The switch provides the ground to the control side of the relay. I can turn them on when I feel like it, such as rain, fog, or just overcast with crappy visibility. I can see as far as illumination goes, but people can't see you. With the foglight rewire, they can see me, without raising the headlamps. So I have the headlamps and park lights on. The headlight not retracting is something annoying that I don't like.