Headlight Conversion For 1990 Toyota Supra

MrDannyKing

Feb 11, 2015
Las Vegas
So, I want to put HID's on my Toyota Supra.
I had them on my civic, and I really like the 8000k HID's.
Problem is, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.
It doesn't seem quite as easy as my civic... A lot of people are saying that you gotta do an entire headlight conversion.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
I was looking at these headlights:
http://www.carid.com/1990-toyota-supra-headlights/spec-d-projector-headlights-43105958.html
what's your opinion?
Thanks in advance.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Those are a waste of money, if you are going to go with hids cheap way is get a good set of headlights that support h4 bulbs buy your hids and done or do a projector retrofit (costly but looks the best no glare and best output)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya that would be the correct way.

Also 8k is too much. More is not better. 4300k -5k Max.

MrDannyKing

Feb 11, 2015
Las Vegas
Okay, thanks brotha.
I've heard of the project retrofits, you know any links to a DIY that can point me in the right direction with materials, and instructions?

MrDannyKing

Feb 11, 2015
Las Vegas
I had 8000k on my civic and I absolutely loved them. Whether they are legal or not is not really an issue with me, I can aim my headlights also so I won't blind other drivers. is it a real problem to get 8000k with the project retrofits? should i just do it the cheap way like he said if i do purchase 8000k? I just want the blue effect, honestly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
MrDannyKing;2038819 said:
I had 8000k on my civic and I absolutely loved them. Whether they are legal or not is not really an issue with me, I can aim my headlights also so I won't blind other drivers. is it a real problem to get 8000k with the project retrofits? should i just do it the cheap way like he said if i do purchase 8000k? I just want the blue effect, honestly.

8000K puts out less light than a normal halogen. If you're aiming the headlights down to stop from blinding people, you can't see down the road better either.

If you want the blue look, get some silverstars.

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
I went with the led headlamps and love them but a bit pricey probably similar to a proper retro fit. But at least I am not blinding the shit out of everybody. 8k is counter productive, blinds everyone and not much better visibility. 6k max

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
1) Those housings are going to be crap. It's not a real projector in there, just a plastic fake projector thing...
2) Don't put HID's in anything that isn't a projector. I HATE it when people do this. You're just blinding everyone because your light shines everywhere no matter how you aim it.
3) 8K is unnecessary. like hvynman said, 4300k is best and gives the most light, and 5k is still alright. Don't go any higher than that.
4) Your options without ticking everyone else off are to get a set of quality H4 conversion lamps like the Hella ECE's and run a set of SilverStars like Poodles suggested, go the LED route like gp-7mgte said, or do a full on projector conversion.

I went with the projector conversion. Here's the thread I did on it when I did them. It should serve as a pretty good "How-to".
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?187113-Some-Questions-on-Doing-HIDs-the-Right-Way

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
MrDannyKing;2038819 said:

Your honesty is appreciated even if I disagree with it. :) That being said I urge you to use your money wisely and buy stuff that will actually help in some way other than looking "cool". The 8000k bulbs are only useful if you like the color. They are dim and the light is actually harder on your eyes. There's a very good reason no OEM uses bulbs anywhere near that blue. The best OEM headlights in the world are closer to the 4000-5000k folks are suggesting here.

Also, for the housings/projectors it's expensive to do it right. Plan on $400-500. You can do it half ass for way less than that, but the result is not going to be reliable or functional. If you want the blue hue to your lights then buy the H4 ECE Hella lights with silverstar bulbs. That will give you really good lighting with a hint of white/blue light for under $150. It won't be an HID setup, but people will be hard pressed to tell a difference. You can also sit back and smugly tell people your setup is better than typical, cheap HID retrofits. ;)

I still haven't bought anything because I've been torn for years. The real HID setup is the superior option, but only if you do it right. And that's expensive.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
suprarx7nut;2038927 said:
I still haven't bought anything because I've been torn for years.

I've been on that ship since I got my first Supra in 2006. I think I might finally be interested in these newer LED 5x7 lamps...

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
You pretty much have 4 choices go buy a set of headlights that support h4 style bulbs and hid those ($), do the truck light led headlights, heard many good things ($$$$), do a halfass retrofit ($$) or do a retrofit the right way($$$$)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nick Squire;2038922 said:
What about Driftmotions HID Kit Driftmotion HID
It looks as though they may be without projector though?
i don't know, just a thought

These are gonna be the same crap plug and play kits that blind everyone. They certainly don't come with a projector. You have to build your own headlights if you want a projector like I did in the thread that I linked, or you can buy a set premade, but that's gonna be even more than just building your own which is already going to run around $400-500 like suprarx7nut mentioned.

suprarx7nut;2038927 said:
Your honesty is appreciated even if I disagree with it. :) That being said I urge you to use your money wisely and buy stuff that will actually help in some way other than looking "cool". The 8000k bulbs are only useful if you like the color. They are dim and the light is actually harder on your eyes. There's a very good reason no OEM uses bulbs anywhere near that blue. The best OEM headlights in the world are closer to the 4000-5000k folks are suggesting here.

Also, for the housings/projectors it's expensive to do it right. Plan on $400-500. You can do it half ass for way less than that, but the result is not going to be reliable or functional. If you want the blue hue to your lights then buy the H4 ECE Hella lights with silverstar bulbs. That will give you really good lighting with a hint of white/blue light for under $150. It won't be an HID setup, but people will be hard pressed to tell a difference. You can also sit back and smugly tell people your setup is better than typical, cheap HID retrofits. ;)

I still haven't bought anything because I've been torn for years. The real HID setup is the superior option, but only if you do it right. And that's expensive.

I have to agree with everything you said here. While there is the crowd that thinks it is cool to have the blue HIDs, it knocks them out of the water when you pull up and turn on pop up headlights and the projector cutoff hits the wall. Nobody ever expects it. Heck, I've even had mustang camaro guys drooling over my headlights in my Toyota haha.

emiliorescigno;2038933 said:
I've been on that ship since I got my first Supra in 2006. I think I might finally be interested in these newer LED 5x7 lamps...

I've heard only good things about the LED lamps. If they would have been cheaper when I did my projectors there is a good chance I would be running them.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
if it was me i would save the money and do the 5x7 led like mentioned above.

[video=youtube;aXWddPs2Qik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWddPs2Qik[/video]

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
My '94 Toyota Pickup has 7x6 housings just like the Supra. I did a proper retrofit using projectors from an Infiniti FX35. They're bixenon, put out a buttload of light, and they can be made to fit the 7x6 housing pretty easily.

Don't go over 5000k. I had 6500k years ago and it was junk. I've done the PnP kits (absolute garbage), the set of lights you posted are worse than stock housings, as I bought a set to modify for HID projector retrofit, then ended up not using them because the glass lens was so screwy that it distorted the cutoff. I ended up getting some cheap AutoPal headlights with the sole purpose to modify and put PROPER HIDs. They worked great for that purpose.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
shaeff;2047618 said:
My '94 Toyota Pickup has 7x6 housings just like the Supra. I did a proper retrofit using projectors from an Infiniti FX35. They're bixenon, put out a buttload of light, and they can be made to fit the 7x6 housing pretty easily.

Don't go over 5000k. I had 6500k years ago and it was junk. I've done the PnP kits (absolute garbage), the set of lights you posted are worse than stock housings, as I bought a set to modify for HID projector retrofit, then ended up not using them because the glass lens was so screwy that it distorted the cutoff. I ended up getting some cheap AutoPal headlights with the sole purpose to modify and put PROPER HIDs. They worked great for that purpose.

Have any pics of the FX projectors in your truck? Those are huge projectors to put into our small headlights. I'm sure it helps too thought that your truck doesn't have pop up headlights. That makes space really tight for the MK3 and any retrofit...