Headgasket from Hell!!

stealth

Jun 19, 2005
San Francisco
So for the last week I've been swapping out the headgasket. Get a newer head get it machined arp studs yada yada yada. I get it all back together and I see water coming from under the intake manifold. I can't really tell where it's coming from. It stared pouring out as I filled the radiator. Does anybody have any ideas that could help out? If it's not easy I'm selling it. I'm exhausted. :icon_mad:

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
There are coolant lines that run to the throttle body and ISC from there in a loop from the block, you sure you got them all connected right?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Theres a coolant line that runs into the bottom of the intake plenum.

I had one crack while pulling a head and didnt notice it was broken until I filled it back up with coolant.

stealth

Jun 19, 2005
San Francisco
Will I have to pull the intake off to get to it or maybe just remove the alternator?

TOMA70E said:
Theres a coolant line that runs into the bottom of the intake plenum.

I had one crack while pulling a head and didnt notice it was broken until I filled it back up with coolant.

stealth

Jun 19, 2005
San Francisco
Need some more help here. I took the upper and lower intake manifold off. I found where the leak was coming from, but I need to know if there is a gasket between the lower intake and the block other than the main gasket. I took a pic and I think you can look at it here. http://www.esnips.com/web/obrian37sOtherStuff

It's the part of the block with the green circle around it? This is where it was leaking from. Do I need a gasket?

stealth

Jun 19, 2005
San Francisco
Is it copper or rubber or the paper like stuff? If it's the paper like stuff, I have material and I can make it. It looks like on my old head one gasket took care of everything, but with this one I currently have it doesn't. I think I'll just make one out of the gasket material I have.
I totally missed that in the post above. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Wow, Its Part of the Lower Intake Mani Gasket, you should clean that shit off. When the car heats up once with the new gasket you'll be fine.

stealth

Jun 19, 2005
San Francisco
The gasket was on backwards. I turned it around and all is well. Now the timing is off. It runs, but it just runs really rough. Anybody have any suggestions? I tried reading the TRSM or whatever and I thought I lined everything up, but no luck? Should I just take the timing belt off and start all over?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yikes...slow down a bit first.

You really need to read up on stuff BEFORE you do any work. It will save you time and us as well.

off the top of my head I will make a guess and say that when you did the intake manifolds you either didnt get them clean enough, you warped them with an improper torque sequence, or they were already warped, and now you have a massive vacuum leak and thats why your car runs rough, not the timing. Spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner or even wd40 around the intake manifold where the surfaces mate. if your idle changes (up or down) then that is pointing you to a leak.

BUT you should also check the cam timing (cam gears in relation to the crank, i.e. marks all lined up) first. Its very easy if you already have your cam gear cover off like alot of people do. Just turn the motor over by hand until the timing mark on the crank pully is at 0* and check to make sure both can gear notches are lined up with the notch in the backing plate. If its all lined up then leave your belt alone its not the problem. Electrical timing is the next thing to check but would require a timing light.

stealth

Jun 19, 2005
San Francisco
That sounds really bad. I did do a ton of reading, but this is the first I've heard of this. If this is the problem will I need new/different intake manifolds? Does this usually happen with the upper or the lower?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
stealth said:
That sounds really bad. I did do a ton of reading, but this is the first I've heard of this. If this is the problem will I need new/different intake manifolds? Does this usually happen with the upper or the lower?

The two most common reasons a manifold gets warped is improper intallation or removal sequence (i.e. removing one bolt at a time starting at one end and working to the other, rather than starting in the middle and working your way out and doing it in stages) and overheating.

When you spray the mating surfaces you will know pretty quickly if you have a leak. If you have a leak then you will need to remove the manifold and check it using a machinists straight edge. You measure diagonally across the surface. If its badly warped it could be machined flat but it would probably be easier and cheaper to just get another one.

The good news if you rarely have to go to that extreme. Usually is you just use a quality gasket coated evenly on both sides with a sealant (RTV in a tube spread on thinly and evenly, or a spray on gasket maker) then you can get the manifolds to seal. I helped a buddy remove his intake and we discovered that someone used what appeared to be a cardboard box like a cereal box and a ton of RTV and it was holding seal. Obviously thats not what you want to do but like I said, its been done and worked before.

But first things first, dont sweat the cure right now until you find out if thats the problem. It takes like 5 minutes to open the hood and spray something in there around the seal to see if you have a leak.