Head removal with ARP Studs

ryushi5

Mar 9, 2008
Louisville, KY
So I've blown a head gasket (go figure). The engine has been together for about 4 months, everything was resurfaced (but I'm not sure the head was done quality). Essentially I want to remove the head from the block without dropping the engine. Will I experience problems removing the head since I have ARP studs? If so, is there a trick to maneuvering the head out?

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Straight up or wiggle and jiggle or pull the studs first.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

oh yeah studs? You can't take the head off the motor with the motor in the bay unless you remove the studs and then pull the head off. Then on installation you will need to put the head on first then put the studs in. And tighten. I don't if you can get away with just taking the back studs out or not

ryushi5

Mar 9, 2008
Louisville, KY
Yeah that's what I was expecting. I had heard that the back two studs cause problems, but I suppose taking the studs out altogether would be the best idea.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
I just did a HG swap with ARP studs. First tried to lift top but the two studs as you mention are to long. Solved it easily with just taking out all studs. Definitely not worth trouble with taking pulling engine out, much more work.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I took all the studs out when I did my head work. One of my buddies had his engine rebuilt in a shop before though and they put the studs in upside down....so he had to do some...err....modifications....to the firewall to get the head out without pulling the engine. He was not a happy camper.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
As long as you have the newer ARP studs, it's a breeze to pull them out, as they have a hex on the top of the stud. If you have the older ones without, it can be a bit harder to get them out, though not impossible.

Definitely need to pull the studs before pulling the head though, if you're doing it in car.

Jeff