Head Gasket

Dave C

Jun 21, 2010
Idaho
I'm looking at a head gasket replacement and would like to know what would be timely work to do while I am at the head gasket. Also, do I really need to remove so many parts as TSRM suggests to get to the head gasket? Inof from peeeps that have done the head gasket replacement is appreciated.

Dave C

Jun 21, 2010
Idaho
Thanks for the link to the HG sticky. The reason I asked is that I had already replaced the valve cover gasket and those in the way to that, plus the exhaust manifold gasket on another occasion. If I don't have to mess with the exhaust manifold, I don't want to now. I am not trying to win races with this particular car, just happened to pick it up for daily transportation acouple of years ago.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Dave C;1697924 said:
I checked out those ARP head bolts. They look great but they sure are proud of em.

It's like insurance. You pay a crappy premium.....you get crappy coverage. The ARP bolts are like that......very good insurance....torque to @ least 85-90lbs.

Dave C

Jun 21, 2010
Idaho
I am gonna go in and try re-torquing. If that doesn't do the trick, I will get the ARP bolts and replace the gasket, etc. If I had the parts, time and knowledge to hook up the entire head I would...the valves are kinda noisy at 235k+.

Dave C

Jun 21, 2010
Idaho
yeah well I wouldn't be suprised if these head bolts are stock and weren't re-torqued ever. I have the tools I need now and will check it out.

Dave C

Jun 21, 2010
Idaho
Re-torqued the head bolts Friday. I think they are original to the car. 2 were at less than 50 ftlbs, several more less than 58. They are all at 58ftlbs now...I didn't want to push the 24 yo stock bolts or hex bit beyond that. May have bought some extra time before having to replace the HG... will see. Took about 5 hrs. to get running again, FYI.