Head gasket confusion

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
So my Head is currently at Lerenzos Fast Flow Cylinder heads....well known shop in my area i know alot of cars they have worked on...all domestics however..They told me to use a felpro gasket over the Greddy or HKS or any other companys..His reason was becuase its a multi layer gasket..now i dont know enough about the Greddy or HKS to know if there the same but has anyone used a felpro gasket here or have anything to say about them..?he says he has seen many do fine on 700hp 7mgte motors

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
starscream5000 said:
Felpro is a composite gasket IIRC, that guy's spouting crap it sounds like.

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the guy. Fel pro makes very good MLS head gaskets (most notably for domestic vehicles). He was probably commenting on overall quality, and was not at a computer checking if they actually made an MLS gasket for the Supra (which they don't that I know of).

I don't know why he was recommending them as if they were better than HKS/Cometic/etc., he shouldn't have been -- but it doesn't mean he was "spouting crap".

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
he mentioned that they make gaskets for alot of companys to put there names on...like they apparently make toyotas oem gaskets..so he says..i have no idea..so basically it seems like stick to what ya know and sounds like people know the hks tms and greddy to be good so stick with it

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
For a stock type rebuild up to the 350-400ish hp area, a composite felpro with arp hardware will hold up fine. I have not seen a MLS head gasket from fel pro either. Even if they did make one, I would not go so far to say that it would be better than any main stream MLS head gasket.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
He was probably thinking the 7m is the same as the 2jz motors. If the oem gasket is mls, so is Fel-Pro's.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Why not just spend the money, get a MHG.. multi-layer head gasket... whatever. The good stuff that everyone runs, and ARP headstuds and just forget about it. :biglaugh:

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I'm using a Felpro HG on a 7M. It's not multi layered steel, yet that's what it says, even on the inner packaging. It's composite and its been holding up just fine at 9psi with ARP bolts torqued to 70ft/lbs.

#1 reason I didn't use a MLS HG= I couldn't get the block smooth enough myself, (without pulling the motor) to use a MLS HG. Close, but almost only counts in.....yeah. I didn't feel like doing it again in 10K miles, and I don't plan on breaking the 350whp mark anytime soon.

Last edited: