Having problems running please help!

Carfreak70852

SuPrA kId
May 27, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Hey guys, I know I dont post much on here, but I really need some help. I sent my car to Carma Performance in Nashville, TN and had them look at the car and $600 later it still didnt run. I was told it needed a fuel pump. The things they checked were:
- 5 Different ECU for the car
- 3 Different MAF until one worked
- New coilpacks
- Compression check (came out absolutly perfect)
- Re-routing wastegate lines
- Installed Knock Sensors
- Fixed timing
They got it to run and went down the street said it ran like shit and built maybe one pound of boost. They told me when they got it back to the shop it wouldnt run again and said it was the fuel pump....well I had Mario come over and help me install a new fuel pump (walbro 225) and new fuel filer. Started the car and it ran, barely revved, built some boost and ran as long as I kept on the throttle a little. I tried to see if it would idle and then it died. It wouldnt start again. I dont think it was ever the fuel pump, but thats okay. I have a new one in there now. I dont know whats wrong with it. Mario will be in here shortly to say what he needs to say. I cant say how awsome the community is just by seeing how much he helped me out.
The car (it looked like) built 3lbs of boost when I revved it but I didnt want to rev it very much. Oil pressure is good. The car has a brand new rebuilt motor in it..so I dont know why this is happening. Any valuable imput would be good. If I cant get it running in a while im going 1jz.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Also has new fuel filter, after the fuel filter install it actually started up and ran pretty well as long as he kept his foot on the petal giving it gas.

Come on guys lets get this fixed for him, I gave SM mad props on helping fix it. LOL

-Mario :D

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Its not getting the proper inputs/there is a huge leak somewhere in the intake track.
Sounds like the shop may have f*ed up more than they fixed.

Any codes?

Carfreak70852

SuPrA kId
May 27, 2008
Middle Tennessee
No codes. The shop is supposed to be well known for their MKIII but mine happened to be the one they couldnt get running. Told me I had a POS and to get it out, sell it, and get a different one..haha. But no, no codes. No check engine lights or anything. Ill have to check for a leak. There are MANY vaccum lines that are not connected but I think most of them went to the EGR. I really need someone with a 1989 turbo to come over so I can copy their vaccums. haha
EDIT: The thing that bothers me is why will it run damn near well the first time and not run again?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Sounds to me like the shop never throws anything away, good or bad. 5 ECU's and 3MAF's before they ever got it right??? My first two thoughts were AFM and Boost leak. Your check engine light will not necessarily stay on if you have stored codes. Did y'all check for codes, because both of those problems would store a code? Mario is a hack, your car may never run again:biggrinki

I think that possibly you have a bad AFM still, or they gave you one you didn't already have while they couldn't find your problem. They could have got the car to start, and thought that the bad ECU fixed it on it's one good cycle. If y'all didn't check codes, do it now, and fix all of the problems it suggests. It sounds like you have a lot of bases covered already with rebuilt motor, new pump and filter, new coils, etc.

I have the motor out of my 89 right now. I can get you a good picture of the vacuum lines. My lines are Red Silicone, so they should show up really well in the pic. I also have an ECU I will send you for little or nothing. You really need to have that on your car, and get rid of the open vacuum situation you have created.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Carfreak70852;1314517 said:
Hey guys, I know I dont post much on here, but I really need some help. I sent my car to Carma Performance in Nashville, TN and had them look at the car and $600 later it still didnt run. I was told it needed a fuel pump. The things they checked were:
- 5 Different ECU for the car
- 3 Different MAF until one worked
- New coilpacks
- Compression check (came out absolutly perfect)
- Re-routing wastegate lines
- Installed Knock Sensors
- Fixed timing
They got it to run and went down the street said it ran like shit and built maybe one pound of boost. They told me when they got it back to the shop it wouldnt run again and said it was the fuel pump....well I had Mario come over and help me install a new fuel pump (walbro 225) and new fuel filer. Started the car and it ran, barely revved, built some boost and ran as long as I kept on the throttle a little. I tried to see if it would idle and then it died. It wouldnt start again. I dont think it was ever the fuel pump, but thats okay. I have a new one in there now. I dont know whats wrong with it. Mario will be in here shortly to say what he needs to say. I cant say how awsome the community is just by seeing how much he helped me out.
The car (it looked like) built 3lbs of boost when I revved it but I didnt want to rev it very much. Oil pressure is good. The car has a brand new rebuilt motor in it..so I dont know why this is happening. Any valuable imput would be good. If I cant get it running in a while im going 1jz.

I would work on one problem at a time.

ForcedTorque;1314817 said:
Sounds to me like the shop never throws anything away, good or bad. 5 ECU's and 3MAF's before they ever got it right??? My first two thoughts were AFM and Boost leak. Your check engine light will not necessarily stay on if you have stored codes. Did y'all check for codes, because both of those problems would store a code? Mario is a hack, your car may never run again:biggrinki

I think that possibly you have a bad AFM still, or they gave you one you didn't already have while they couldn't find your problem. They could have got the car to start, and thought that the bad ECU fixed it on it's one good cycle. If y'all didn't check codes, do it now, and fix all of the problems it suggests. It sounds like you have a lot of bases covered already with rebuilt motor, new pump and filter, new coils, etc.

I have the motor out of my 89 right now. I can get you a good picture of the vacuum lines. My lines are Red Silicone, so they should show up really well in the pic. I also have an ECU I will send you for little or nothing. You really need to have that on your car, and get rid of the open vacuum situation you have created.

Sixth times a charm eh;) haha

I would put your EGR back on unless your running a JDM ECU, and if you got 5 do you wanna sell a couple:) But the EGR will have no effect on getting the car running properly.

Like ForcedTorque said, check our codes per the TSRM. Make sure no air is getting in after your AFM, and check your intercooler pipes for leaks, they can be deiciveiving. And hook up your vacum lines properly.

What kind of mods does this car have, or is it pretty well stock?

Carfreak70852

SuPrA kId
May 27, 2008
Middle Tennessee
ForcedTorque;1314817 said:

I think you are right. My car runs SUPER rich and that could very well be the AFM. If you want me to give you some money I'll be more than happy to try your ECU, and the pics would be awsome as well. Let me know man.

Carfreak70852

SuPrA kId
May 27, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Oh and also, I had compessor surge when I revved it up. I'm thinking it's a mix of vaccum lines off and the AFM.
I will check for codes when I get home.
The car is pretty much stock....aside from the previous owner making a autozone run, for an exhaust can and some gauges. And writing FUCK on my exhaust in welding.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
As state before, reconnect the vacuum lines and check all intake piping for leaks.

You said you had compressor surge... check to make sure that the blow-off valve (if aftermarket) or bypass valve is functioning correctly and is properly hooked up.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Carfreak70852;1314838 said:
Oh and also, I had compessor surge when I revved it up. I'm thinking it's a mix of vaccum lines off and the AFM.
I will check for codes when I get home.
The car is pretty much stock....aside from the previous owner making a autozone run, for an exhaust can and some gauges. And writing FUCK on my exhaust in welding.

::focl:: Priceless

I do stupid shit like that at work sometimes...you never hear from it, but someone like you gets it down the line haha:) No harm no fowl. Although I dont weld it, that could promote rust/cracks.

Running super rich indicates a leak post turbo.

Just so everyone is clear, you did check for codes per the TSRM.
http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=23

This may help for your vacum lines.http://cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTips/graphics/vacuum_2h.gif

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I made a very bad Typo that has been quoted and highlighted, so I should clarify, and edit.

What I have is an EGR, not an ECU. Not sure how I did that, unless my mind was thinking dead on ECU as I typed.

To check the stock bypass valve, take it off and see if you can blow through it. Most of them are dead now. If you can blow through, it is bad. Also, you won't find a better seller than Too Stand (maybe equal in Tubbie and a couple others). I bought the car in my sig from TooStand, and he bent over backwards to make me happy with it.

Carfreak70852

SuPrA kId
May 27, 2008
Middle Tennessee
alright so I just got back in from trying another AFM. It could be bad as well...but It did the exact same thing. I think it might be a bad connector or something I really dont know. I will have to get a AFM from Too_stand, if I cant find one a little cheaper :/ if not im sure ill be ordering one soon. Got any other suggestions? I looked all around the intake and found really no good vacuum leaks. My car wont run now. It will run for maybe 30 seconds and then it dies but I cant get any throttle response from it at all. When I start it I have to give it some gas to keep it alive, but other than that I can floor it and the RPM wont change. Im guessing the cars RPM is sitting somewhere around 400-500 range
ALSO I took off the oil cap and I think I can smell some gas in the oil. What does that mean? Im not really sure. I think I may need to change the oil, because its almost clear. I really cant see it that well and I have really good eyes. I tried to get the car to warm up, but that wasnt going to happen. I really dont know where to go from here. I cant send it to another shop because I dont want to pay another 600 dollars to get nothing back. I think I want to try another ECU, but I really dont know if thats going to help or not. There are many clips and connectors that are not connected. Im really thinking im going to rip this motor out, sell, and go 1JZ. Its sounding a lot easier than this is turning out to be :p