Having issues securing targa in trunk

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
So I had my targa off for the first time in years and attempted to secure it in the hatch. I assume it goes in the same orientation as on the roof as that's the only way I could get it to fit. My problem is there is nothing to clip the back of the targa into the back of the hatch. The two securing tabs in the back that fold up and down appear to have a little notch in their center as if something is supposed to snap in them that will keep the top from shaking around. The back underside of my targa is completely smooth and has nothing to snap into the holders, so it just lays on top of them and slides around. Am I missing something?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
pics would help. Should slide in to the front and go in place at the rear and stay there.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
What holds it in place at the rear? Just the weight of the targa top, or is it supposed to actually snap into the retaining tabs or just lay on top of them? Because right now it's just laying on top of them.

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Oh snap! I think I know what your talking about. They have little lines going through them don't they? Dammit! I saw those things laying around in a pile of bolts and I'm not sure what happened to them. Where would I ever get replacements?

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
The front holders have spring loaded tabs that fit in the holes on the targa. Engage those first, then push the roof towards the front (compressing the spring) and drop the rear allowing the rear bolt bosses to "snap" into their respective notch on the rear holders, then let the front springs push the roof into those notches. Once installed roof should be solidly mounted, certainly not just gravity

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
MarkIII4Me;2010644 said:
Where would I ever get replacements?

I just listed a set of them on ebay this morning. They are complete holders with the rubber pieces intact. Many of those rear holders will not stay up, and will drop your top into a difficult position. Those I listed are still strong.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Mine stay up fine, just looking for one of those little rubber pieces. The passenger side. I found the driver side one, but the passenger side is gone.

'

Anybody have one?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
MarkIII4Me;2010833 said:
Mine stay up fine, just looking for one of those little rubber pieces. The passenger side. I found the driver side one, but the passenger side is gone.

'

Anybody have one?

This is so funny. I have one on my garage workbench and had no idea where the hell it came from. I'm missing my other one so I had no idea I was even missing anything.

They appear to be a few bucks each in the EPC, but this seems unlikely to be still available from Toyota.

super51fan;2010920 said:
What holds the targa top to rubber pads. Uhhh vacuum? Nope gravity. Of course it has to slide into the front holders.

It's not gravity. You push the front lip forward into the spring-loaded front holders and then rest the back edge into the rear holder and then while the rear is resting on the cushions in the rear holders, let the roof slide back toward the rear. The roof should then be secured in place. The roof is NOT a loose panel when stored in the cargo area. That would be extremely dangerous. Instead, it is secured in both the front and rear.

If yours just sits in the back with gravity, then perhaps you have a broken holder.

http://www.brandwood.net/supra/handbook/1/2/sports_roof.html

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
suprarx7nut;2010926 said:
This is so funny. I have one on my garage workbench and had no idea where the hell it came from. I'm missing my other one so I had no idea I was even missing anything.

Is it for the passenger side? Segments on the side would be opposite of the one I have pictured? Care to send it to a fellow SM member?

Do you know the part numbers for these thing? I was looking online and couldn't find a listing anywhere.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
MarkIII4Me;2010960 said:
Is it for the passenger side? Segments on the side would be opposite of the one I have pictured? Care to send it to a fellow SM member?

Do you know the part numbers for these thing? I was looking online and couldn't find a listing anywhere.

Parts (I believe) are:
Left: 63666-14010
Right: 63665-14010

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=6104&P=3

I don't have an extra, I'm actually missing one! I now need to find a driver's side so I have a complete pair.