Have motor out of car again what else should I do??

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
My MHG blew because my Koyo radiator started leaking and got hot and blew just the exterior metal parts on the mhg... I took the whole motor out and sent it to the machine shop to get checked to make sure everything is fine... I'm replacing all the gaskets and seals on the motor, having my turbo rebuilt, putting in a new rack and pinion, 98 motormounts, powdercoating turbo comp cover, valve covers, intake manifold, lex afm housing and oil pan... would do more but lack of funds with doing all of this.. buying new mishimoto radiator to drop in...

Anything else I should do while the motor is out? Besides put a 2J in it?LOL

a10secstreetcar

F-Con V Pro FTW!
Feb 7, 2009
FLORIDA
2JZ FTW! :D

No serious, I would Replace Oil, water pumps, All vac lines, Clean and paint ( Of course ), change all belts,Clean engine bay!

I could go on here, but you get the idea.

Kyle

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
My oil pump is only 6-7 months old and shimmed already same as water pump.... cleaning the bay tomorrow... just trying to figure out what mhg to get...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
How old was the Koyo radiator when it started to leak? What color coolant were you running? Dex-Cool or Toyota Red? I got myself a Prosport Temperature gauge that has an "Amber Color Alert." It basically changes from the white to amber when it goes over the peak amount, which you are allow to set. Get one like that....

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I've had it for about 3 years... I was using toyota red then when it started leaking I just kept putting water in it... Picking up a Mishimoto tomorrow from MVP along with a new HKS HG.. I will have to look into that gauge..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
rear main seal even if it was slightly used. its what 10 bux from toyota and it saves you a clutch.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I will have it all back together this weekend hopefully.... I checked the bearings and it all looks good.. I'm putting on all new gaskets and seals everywhere!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
+1 You should really change the bearings while its apart, if it has Toyota bearings replace the bearings with OEM with the same number that is stamped on them

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
CyFi6;1521298 said:
LOL you obviously havent purchased any seals from Toyota, especially the rear main, I suppose.

actually i have. just didnt know the exact price off the top of my head. so its about 30 bux. still cheaper than a clutch.