hatch leaking. anyone else have this issue

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
so my rear hatch is letting water into the trunk. i know of at least one other person with the same problem.

is it the window seals or what.

has anyone figured out a fix to this problem. i had gallon'S of water in my spare tire well. time to POR15 it.

roystunna

May 27, 2009
USA
If its the same leak as mine, I think it leaks thru the bottom moulding on the glass then leaks thru the clip holes that hold the moulding in place. There it settles in the plastic cover until you open the hatch and it pours out of both ends. Fix is i remove the moulding and put silicone around the clip holes and put some silicone between the moulding and glass

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
^ Word! Take off the hatch finish panel and remove unbolt the lower backglass trim, use windshield adhesive/silicone seal the lower portion of the glass, as well as around the bolt holes where the lower trim goes into, remove the spoiler (if you have one) and seal around the whole spoiler area as well as around the bolt holes on the hatch itself, bolt onto the car while still wet and make sure to torque it down evenly to avoid gaps, replace your tail light gaskets and possibly even the hatch weatherstrip, leak should be gone, at least mine stopped getting water in spare tire area after that :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
modmonster2008;1669311 said:
^ Word! Take off the hatch finish panel and remove unbolt the lower backglass trim, use windshield adhesive/silicone seal the lower portion of the glass, as well as around the bolt holes where the lower trim goes into, remove the spoiler (if you have one) and seal around the whole spoiler area as well as around the bolt holes on the hatch itself, bolt onto the car while still wet and make sure to torque it down evenly to avoid gaps, replace your tail light gaskets and possibly even the hatch weatherstrip, leak should be gone, at least mine stopped getting water in spare tire area after that :)

Pretty good... but you neglected the wiper seal and the antenna seal. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Either Grimjack or Poodles posted up a good thread about this recently, dig through a few pages of threads in this section to find it. ;)