Hatch bump stop installation

GilTheArtist

Dec 25, 2013
California
Hi guys, i wanted to do a quick write up on the install of the Driftmotion hatch bump stop kit on my 87.

Starting with the cylinder shaped stops under the wing, they pull right out with a twist, no screws.
To install the new ones, i assumed the same technique would work, and it did...for the first one.
I pushed too hard too quick on the 2nd one and the edge of the hole cut into the rubber cone on the top of the stop.
I sprayed a little silicon on it and used a flathead screwdriver to gently push into the side of the cone while pressing the stopper in and rotating it slowly at the same time.

The 2 stops on the sides are held in with 2 philips screws each. These screws have blue threadlocker on them.
Again, one side came out easily, but the first screw on the 2nd one stripped immediately. I skipped it and removed the 2nd screw easily.
I attempted to spin the now loose stop, pulling into the screw to turn it, no luck.
I then tried to cut a philips compatible slot using a hacksaw after breaking a small file. This stripped immediately as well.

This is when i noticed that these stops are imbedded with a metal plate/frame. The stop was eroded enough that i wouldnt miss it if i ruined it, so i pulled and tore the rubber off the inner plate.
This is when i noticed that besides being a philips, the screws actually have a hex head. So i grabbed an 8mm wrench and sure enough it came out.
Installation screws require a 4mm
Allen wrench and is as straightforward as youd imagine.

Ill try to upload pics if the site allows it.
Nope it wont, pics up on Supraforums.com

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Hi guys, i wanted to do a quick write up on the install of the Driftmotion hatch bump stop kit on my 87.

Starting with the cylinder shaped stops under the wing, they pull right out with a twist, no screws.
To install the new ones, i assumed the same technique would work, and it did...for the first one.
I pushed too hard too quick on the 2nd one and the edge of the hole cut into the rubber cone on the top of the stop.
I sprayed a little silicon on it and used a flathead screwdriver to gently push into the side of the cone while pressing the stopper in and rotating it slowly at the same time.

The 2 stops on the sides are held in with 2 philips screws each. These screws have blue threadlocker on them.
Again, one side came out easily, but the first screw on the 2nd one stripped immediately. I skipped it and removed the 2nd screw easily.
I attempted to spin the now loose stop, pulling into the screw to turn it, no luck.
I then tried to cut a philips compatible slot using a hacksaw after breaking a small file. This stripped immediately as well.

This is when i noticed that these stops are imbedded with a metal plate/frame. The stop was eroded enough that i wouldnt miss it if i ruined it, so i pulled and tore the rubber off the inner plate.
This is when i noticed that besides being a philips, the screws actually have a hex head. So i grabbed an 8mm wrench and sure enough it came out.
Installation screws require a 4mm
Allen wrench and is as straightforward as youd imagine.

Ill try to upload pics if the site allows it.
Nope it wont, pics up on Supraforums.com

You have to go to "Go Advanced" and then upload it under the "attachment" section.

GilTheArtist

Dec 25, 2013
California
Just want to add that the driftmotion supplied screws are rusting and bleeding rust on everything.
Really crappy unprotected metal. So just buy your own screws when you do this job.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Just want to add that the driftmotion supplied screws are rusting and bleeding rust on everything.
Really crappy unprotected metal. So just buy your own screws when you do this job.

That's dumb. I wonder what kind of screws are used in that kit. If not SS I would expect the OEM Toyota. If it's rusting already, it must be super cheap stuff or non-plated steel.

nicholaslimck

Feb 24, 2017
Troy
Yeah, the Driftmotion screws are also rusting pretty badly for me. Definitely not stainless steel; I started seeing rust residue after rain within a month of installing.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yeah, the Driftmotion screws are also rusting pretty badly for me. Definitely not stainless steel; I started seeing rust residue after rain within a month of installing.

I just looked at the pics and they appear to be black oxide. I'm surprised they'd rust that quickly, but they're definitely a far cry from SS. I wonder if DM knows about the issue. Switching to SS screws would cost an extra few bucks at most. A few bucks most anyone would be willing to pay.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
They're probably just coated with a thin layer of black oxide. The same rust issue happened with my rear hatch strut bolts.