hardtop non-abs vs targa abs cant decide

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
so i crashed my car this past january and im going to fix it but I'm in the market for a nice shell to build in the future cause this is the 3rd time my car has been crashed bad. so id like to get a new shell to start fresh with at some point and do a better paint job on it then i did with the one i have now.

i found this straight 90 n/a hardtop non-abs shell with 130k that im considering getting but im sorta having cold feet cause its not a targa. for a while i thought i was set on getting a hardtop as my next car cause theyre lighter and supposedly stiffer chassis. but now that i have the chance to make it happen i don't know if i want to move onto a hardtop car. the funny thing is i haven't taken the targa top off on my 89 since i painted it 2.5 years ago :aigo:. but if i got a hardtop im starting to think i might regret it. i looked through all the threads about the hardtop and most of them were about rarity not really pros vs cons. i did find a post where wreakless on sf said how much each weigh. its 180lbs difference which would help a lot and i bet without just ac, the spare tire, jack, and tools itd be in the 3300 range. then plus other little stuff i could get it in the 3200 range pretty easy im thinking. so that alone is appealing.

My '87 Turbo Hardtop 5-spd, cloth, no ABS was 3440 w/no weight reduction
My '89 Turbo Targa 5-spd, cloth, ABS, was 3620 w/no weight reduction

also i need a front bumper and upper valance with the red supra emblem to fix my car so i might just get the car for those parts. then part out the mint condition blue interior in it. and hold onto it until i decide what to do. that way i can at least get my car looking good again. and for the price of those parts from a junk yard or anywhere by the time i ship it i could just get this whole car lol.......i just wish the car had abs cause thats something id like either way i go :wtc:

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats a personal choice man.

Me personally id never buy targa again. Too much head ache and i never use it.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I agree with Hvyman its a personal choice. However dealing with a targa if you never use it seems silly. I often wish mine was a hardtop as I don't remove mine either. The weight savings is just a plus.

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
emericaskater285;1996480 said:
for a cruiser/fun car I will always have a targa. for a race car or more track orientated I would go hard top.

Sound reasoning. I rarely ever take the top of mine since I really hate how the car twists and shakes with it off. In the future I may build myself a Brace to bolt in. If it were me in your shoes I would by the Hardtop. You might be able to swap in the ABS system from your car.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I am making decent BPU power, and have stock suspension at the moment. Call me novice, but I honestly can't tell a difference in all this chassis flex talk with the targa on or off. Maybe it's just me, but I'll always prefer the targa just because it's nice to have in summer.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
yeah i hear you guys and thats what i thought for a while since i never use it. but i think its just a really cool feature that the supra has and not many cars have. i love telling people that don't know better that it has a targa top. they are always so shocked haha. i have had lots of fun driving through the redwoods with the top off too and its funny how many more heads turn. it is sorta a pita though having to bolt it back up so nobody steals shit outta your car though. and we all know the car feels like a wet noodle compared to with the top on. i know when it boils down its my personal decision but its becoming a hard one. ideally having a targa car for the weekend and a hardtop for a race car would be the best of both worlds but idk if i can swing that. i think my best bet is to just get this car cause it has parts i need and i'll prolly be able to make a couple hundred on top of getting the car after selling some stuff off it. then i can just hold onto it and decide what to do later. who knows maybe i'll go with having both and just save the hard top for years down the road when i have the funds. the guy selling the car though doesn't have the pink slip for it so im waiting for him to sort that out or else i would have just impulse bought the thing this past weekend! but now that ive had time to think about it more im starting to over analyze the whole thing :runaway: