Gurren Lagann!!!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just started back into anime again, have been sitting on quite a large (if digital) collection for sometime now. Funny how much I remember enjoying this stuff before the internet took over. :)

Anyone seen Burst Angel yet? I watched the first episode at breakfast, seems alright so far...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OneJoeZee;1714784 said:
Oh, just a passerby. =] This seems an interesting place.

Just a passerby with nearly 4x as many posts as *this* post whore? :rofl:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Finished Gurren Lagann yesterday... not bad.

Hey, a while back I was watching some previews for a new racing anime... SF, some outer space / space station stuff, racing all kinds of vehicles... looked pretty damn fine, but now I've gone and forgotten what it was called. :( Anyone else got any ideas?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Has any Gundam series been any better than 08th MS Team? Re-watched that not too long ago...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I liked SEED and 00. They're all good in their own way (there's also the main time line and alternate universes to deal with).

Oh, and yeah, you could say I like mecha... (that's well over a grand on that shelf, and that's only a small sample of the kits I have built)

p1715466_1.jpg

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
te72;1715445 said:
Has any Gundam series been any better than 08th MS Team? Re-watched that not too long ago...

0083 Stardust Memory, IMO

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Poodles;1715466 said:
I liked SEED and 00. They're all good in their own way (there's also the main time line and alternate universes to deal with).

Oh, and yeah, you could say I like mecha... (that's well over a grand on that shelf, and that's only a small sample of the kits I have built)

p1715608_1.jpg
Zeta and the second half of ZZ are up there for me. Unicorn is on course to rival 0083 for my favorite OVA. But we'll see how the last 3 episodes play out. I won't ruin it for me by reading the spoilers. I can wait.

For movies, I'm tying Char's Counterattack with 00 Movie. F91 was not at all great.

Most of mine. No PGs for me yet. Too many MGs I need to do first.

p1715608_2.jpg

p1715608_3.jpg

What else do you have? I'm looking forward to picking up MG 00 Raiser soon. Been counting the days til the releease since I pre-ordered it a couple months ago. =/

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmmm, let's see, got every HG Wing Gundam kit, every HG Eva kit (also the PG Eva 1), and lots of MG kits. MG was awesome until I did my first PG, now I'm spoiled and want only PG kits :rofl:

Most of them are still in storage as this house doesn't have nearly as much room to display them.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1715466 said:

p1716218_1.jpg

Good Lord man, I count 6 there, and that's well over a grand??? My wallet is glad I'm not into those as much as I used to be as a kid...

And clearly I have not seen as much Gundam series as you and Joe. May have to find them at some point, I think a friend of mine could help me out there. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
$200+ a pop, takes about a week to build them (no glue or paint required either). Full internal skeletons, LED's, opening hatches, removable (and replacable armor in the case of the guy on the end), and transformable in the case of the zeta and the core fighters.

Expensive hobby, and the sucky thing about it is that if you need cash they don't sell =/

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The modern ones are much faster and better drawn. SEED would be an excellent starter.

The originals are slow moving, but it shows war a lot better than anything else out there as there really isn't a good and bad side.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
GrimJack;1716314 said:
I've never gotten into the Gundam series. Whenever I look, there's too many choices... any words of wisdom for where to start?

Gundam 00 is a good start I think. It's the most recent series and you don't need to have seen any others. It's 2 seasons of 25 episodes and a movie that was released last year. It's visually very appealing (widescreen, HD), doesn't rely heavily on angsty teenagers if that kind of thing will turn you off, and it doesn't reuse a bunch of stock footage throughout the entire series.

If you want to get into the rest of Gundam, I would suggest just starting at the very beginning with the original Gundam from 1979 and then work your way up from there to Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack. Original and Zeta both have abridged movie versions so you can watch that if you don't want to sit through ~100 episodes combined of those two. If that sounds like a little much, like I recommended above, I would watch 0083: Stardust Memory. It's a 12 episode OVA that takes place between the original Gundam and Zeta but it's great and set enough apart that it standalone without seeing the others. 08th MS team is another great OVA that can standalone. All of that is the core of Gundam, IMO.

From there, it's whatever you want to do. Gundam Unicorn is a currently running OVA that takes place after the original storyline (original, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack.) SEED is love it or hate it for most. If you start with SEED, the more other series you watch, the less you'll think of SEED probably. That's why I'd leave it at least for a little later. I don't think you can go wrong with 00 though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
mecevans;1716751 said:
Just got back from fanimecon,holy shit. Those $400 gundams are like the real thing.

Hence why I buy them :)

0083 is alright, currently detailing my PC GP01 :)

Anyway, there is the main timeline in the gundam universe (hence the years, like 0083), and the alternate universes. G-Gundam is an example of the alternate universe. Also, if you want something quirky, there is Turn-A Gundam, where the mecha where designed by Syd Mead. It's also the last hand painted gundam series.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1716314 said:
I've never gotten into the Gundam series. Whenever I look, there's too many choices... any words of wisdom for where to start?

Hmm, if you're just looking for a teaser, I'd go with 08th MS Team. Short and sweet, if you like it, great, move on to the next series (Joe probably knows this series better than most I'd say), and if you don't like it, it's not like you invested much time in it. :)

Personally, I started with Gundam Wing, like so many others who grew up watching Toonami haha...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Believe it or not, I had never seen a single episode of Gundam Wing until last year when I watched the whole thing.

We didn't have Toonami at the time Wing was running. :(

The first series I saw was G Gundam.