GUIDE : Changing your Lambda sensor

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
GUIDE : Changing your Lambda sensor

I recommend you get the Lambda sensor and adaptor flange from somewhere like buypartsbuy.co.uk (http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/lambda_sensors.php), and it should cost you about £35 delivered. You want a 3 wire generic sensor.

I'm not going to cover the TSRM procedure for testing the sensor due to the fact it will only show major faults. General wear and tear will have an affect on the sensor and so I decided to change mine as a matter of general maintenance. Once you see the sensor I'm sure you'll agree it is worth doing!

Step 1 - First things first, locate your lambda sensor. This is on the turbo elbow before your cat (if you still have them). Don't worry if your turbo elbow doesn't look identical, mine's aftermarket.

p1329297_1.jpg

Bit of background: The act of combustion produces a number of gases (hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen & carbon etc) and these can tell you a lot about the mixture in the cylinders. A target figure known as stoichiometric is the "chemically correct" ratio at which petrol should be mixed with air for optimal performance against economy & emissions. This figure is about 14.66 to 1 (usually listed asd 14.7:1) and is known as 'Lambda'. Note that there is a trade-off between power & economy (and there are also emissions to consider) and also AFRs can vary significantly depending upon load, throttle (wide open throttle or WOT is a special case for example) and various other factors. For background reading you can look into micro-turbulence (barrow swirls) of lean-burn engines which can happily run AFRs of 22:1.

A lambda sensor sits in the stream of exhaust gases and measures the exhaust's Oxygen content and produces a voltage based on the amount of O2 (Oxygen) present. Why Oxygen? Simple, if there's too much fuel then virtually all the Oxygen gets used up whereas if there is too little fuel there will be an excess of Oxygen in the exhaust gases. The adjustment of the AFR is done in small increments by the ECU to avoid potential problems such as coming off throttle from WOT etc

One thing I can't say for sure is whether the sensor compares the exhaust O2 content with atmospheric or not. I have found numerous references that say this is the case but I'm not 100% certain so if anyone can shed some light that'd be great.

The ECU will have target air-fuel ratios (AFR) for given rev ranges and will use feedback from the lambda sensor to adjust fuelling accordingly. The sensor isn't much use until warm (Usually 350 degrees F to even start functioning and around 600 degrees F before it can react quickly to changes. To aid the warm up, a heating element is incorporated into the sensor. If the sensor is unable to provide valid information, the ECU will use other sensors (knock sensors, afm etc) to control the fuelling but will provide a rich mixture by default. This is fine while the sensor warms up but it does mean poor fuel economoy, reduction in power, and increases in emissions so expect it to show up come MOT time if your sensor starts to fail.

Widebands - A wideband sensor is just another type of O2/Lambda sensor that works across a greater range of AFRs. Stock (narrowband) sensors produce voltage variations around a very small range of AFRs near to the 14.7:1 mark. A wideband works over a much greater range (as much as 10:1 - 25:1)

One final point is that the ECU will only use the Lambda sensor when in 'closed loop' mode. This basically means when it is using the feedback from sensors to tweak the other components (ie fuelling) within the system. In certain circumstances (such as WOT), the ECU will revert to base maps and, as before, run rich.

Step 2 - Right, sorry about the essay but on to the guide - Disconnect your battery (10mm nut). This is recommended when you deal with any electrical bits and bobs (not that I usually bother!), but in this case I want the ECU to be reset. I don't know if any of the self-learning performed during a reset is based on the O2 sensor but figure I should give it every chance to improve economy.

p1329297_2.jpg

Step 3 - Remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the O2 sensor to the turbo elbow

p1329297_3.jpg

Step 4 - Trace the wiring from the sensor back to the connector (picture 1), and make sure you open the TWO metal clips that hold the wire in position (picture 2 shows 1 of them). Disconnect the sensor wiring - the third picture shows the connector and I've highlighted the tab you need to pull upwards to free it from the sensor-end of the connector.

p1329297_4.jpg

p1329297_5.jpg

p1329297_6.jpg

Step 5 - You should now be able to remove the sensor from the car and examine it. I've attached a couple of pictures of the state mine was in and one of the turbo elbow gasket surface.

From a bit of reading around, it seems you can get a white build up like this from a silicone gasket and my gasket surface was white and powdery so I assume this may be the case. Oxidised silicone poisons the pores of the sensor by preventing larger molecules from passing (e.g. O2) whereas smaller molecules do (such as Hydrogen) so be sure you get an "Oxygen sensor safe" gasket material such as the one I used.

p1329297_7.jpg

p1329297_8.jpg

p1329297_9.jpg

Step 6 - Clean up the surface of the turbo elbow where the gasket will sit to seal the sensor in place. I used a wallpaper scraper for this and gently removed the build up of white powder. Try and avoid getting it in the exhaust (stuff a rag in the O2 sensor hole if you like), especially if you've still got cats.

p1329297_10.jpg

Step 7 - The Supra use a mounting flange rather than a screw-fit connection for the Lambda sensor so need to convert it. Keep this in mind if you buy a generic sensor because you will probably need to buy an adaptor to fit the flange-style lamba sensors. You should have a gasket and flange as shown in the first picture. If the gasket has a smooth surface and one with ridges then have the smooth surface against the turbo elbow. Fit the gasket and flange to the turbo elbow (second picture)

NOTE : Both my 10mm bolts that I removed were threaded (see third picture), in case you find the same but have new bolts on standby. Also, the holes in the adaptor flange were too big for stock bolts so you'll need to replace them or get a washer to cater for this. I haven't got a stock turbo elbow so can't give you the proper bolts sizes but in my case there only a shallow recess for the bolts so don't get long ones.

p1329297_11.jpg

p1329297_12.jpg

p1329297_13.jpg

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Step 8 - Crack open your new sensor and see what you have. Be aware that generic ones will probably come with just bare wires for you to terminate on your existing connector. The picture shows what I received - the sensor and 3 'bullet' connectors. Be very careful with the sensor and make sure you don't damage the tip by bringing into contact with .. well, anything!

p1329298_1.jpg

Step 9 - Strip the 3 wires back about 1/2 cm or so (The wire stripper I used makes life much easier and only a fiver from Maplin). Our sensors have 3 wires, 2 are for the heating element (both black) and one is the signal wire (blue). On my new sensor I had two white and one black (obviously the white ones are the heater on the generic and black is signal)

p1329298_2.jpg

Step 10 - We need to use part of the old O2 sensor as shown in the first picture. Pull back the heat sleeving near the sensor end (picture 2) then cut and strip the wires. I wasn't too happy about reusing the existing wires because they had clearly been heat cycled a lot (see third picture) but hey, that's the price you pay for £30 sensors I guess

p1329298_3.jpg

p1329298_4.jpg

p1329298_5.jpg

Step 11 - Remove the heat shielding and strip down to size on both the old sensor wiring and the new sensor. Make sure you've got enough room to fit your bullet connectors in.

p1329298_6.jpg

Step 12 - If you haven't got one of these then I highly recommend you add it to your tool kit. It's expensive at £25 for just a crimper but boy does it make life easier. It's another Maplin one (and no, I'm not on comission it's just a damned good tool!). Pop your bullet connector in and crimp one side of it on to the old sensor wiring and one on to the new sensor (see step 9 for colours). Do this for all three wires

p1329298_7.jpg

Step 13 - According to the instructions with the sensor you are supposed to use a heat gun/lighter to melt the heat shrink around the bullet connectors. It looked like plastic to me but I got the heat gun out and tried anyway. It was plastic! Don't bother. If you want them heat shrunk then get some proper stuff and slide it over before you crimp them then melt at the end

Step 14 - Remove the cover from the tip of the new sensor (picture 1). I've added a couple of pictures of the sensor tip

p1329298_8.jpg

p1329298_9.jpg

p1329298_10.jpg

Step 15 - Insert the new sensor into the flagne you fitted and screw it down (picture 1). Ensure that the wire doesn't get twisted by holding it directly above the sensor so it can spin freely while you screw it in. Once you have screwed it in finger tight, use a 22mm spanner to nip it up - it is supposed to be 30ft/lbs but I don't know how you are supposed to judge that on a nut with a spanner

p1329298_11.jpg

p1329298_12.jpg

Step 16 - Plug the connector back in then route the wirigin back through the metal clips before reconnecting the battery. When you start the car up it will run poorly due to the ECU reset and probably stall a few times. After a few miles of normal driving this will clear up and you can enjoy (hopefully) improved fuel economy.

I can't give you definite results yet but I'm not expecting to see any real improvements on fuel economy. My idle settles down quicker and the engine is smoother now but that could be due to the ECU reset.Regardless of any improvements in MPG, the sensor was in need of replacing so I do recommend you go for it every 50k or so.