GTE vs GE cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
I have a good amount of experience building/tuning Audi 20v 5 cylinders. One of the cheap and very effective "tricks" is to use N/A cams in a turbo powerplant. Exhaust cam only in chipped cars, both N/A cams in cars with upgraded exhaust and turbo.

I've put in a decent amount of time looking for an answer on the difference between GTE and GE cams if there is any. Can some of the tech heads help me out here?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
only the intake cam is different, ive heard of people putting the GE cam in and seeing marginal gains. if i recall correctly they said it wasnt worth it for the tiny hp gain

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
Kai;1559242 said:
Okay - again this subject raises it's head, and it'd been done to death.

The GE cam will *not* give you more power - all it'll do, is shift the power further down the rpm band by about 500rpm.

Awesome.... and since you seem to know the subject well perhaps you'd like to direct me in the correct direction to find these threads that did the subject to death..... since I'm apparently too stupid to find them on my own.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Kai;1559242 said:
Okay - again this subject raises it's head, and it'd been done to death.

The GE cam will *not* give you more power - all it'll do, is shift the power further down the rpm band by about 500rpm.

+1In one of the old threads there is dyno charts of this...OP: Click on search, type in GTE vs GE in quotes.

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
Tried GTE vs GE with quotes... without quotes... added dyno... camshaft... and pretty much anything else I can think of and I either get pages of threads that have nothing to do with the subject or ..."Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Keep in mind that if you do the cam swap, you'll be choking the motor off at upper RPM when making any decent amount of power. For a bone stock car that'll stay stock forever, I still wouldn't do it. (Don't you think the engineers at Toyota would have put the N/A cam in the GTE if it was better?)

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's a waste of time.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It will choke off over 3K which is where the turbo kicks in. Overall, it may feel faster out of the hole but it falls on it's face after that.

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
Thanx for the links Moy. Told me exactly what I needed to know.

As for the comment from someone else about what I "think" Toyota engineers would do... I don't assume I know what any OEM engineer would do, gave up on that about 25 years ago. Case in point... 58 ftlbs of headbolt torque.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Oh great, this again...

- The head torque was designed for the aspestos gasket, they changed to the composite headgasket we have now before production.
- Though we think it's low torque, 99% of headgasket failures are on 100K+ mile cars that weren't maintained (overheat = BHG).
- OEM's spend MILLIONS on designing a car, and also look at ways of saving money. It would have been cheaper for an OEM to make ONE cam set, why on earth would they spend the money to make a different one unless the design and performance specs demanded it?

TorqIsKing

Nov 16, 2009
Springfield, Ohio
Poodles;1559464 said:
Oh great, this again...

- The head torque was designed for the aspestos gasket, they changed to the composite headgasket we have now before production.
- Though we think it's low torque, 99% of headgasket failures are on 100K+ mile cars that weren't maintained (overheat = BHG).
- OEM's spend MILLIONS on designing a car, and also look at ways of saving money. It would have been cheaper for an OEM to make ONE cam set, why on earth would they spend the money to make a different one unless the design and performance specs demanded it?

Due to the fact that I'm new to this site I'm going to refrain from responding to the above in the manner that it deserves. My question has been answered, please consider the thread finished.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
TorqIsKing;1559531 said:
Due to the fact that I'm new to this site I'm going to refrain from responding to the above in the manner that it deserves. My question has been answered, please consider the thread finished.

It was responded to in exactly the manner it deserves. You are new to the site and do not have a clue how many times this has been beat to death. This type of response will get you zero help from those that actually know what they are doing - you need to grow a thicker skin if you plan on continuing posting here - might want to read this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...hool-quot-guys-(or-How-to-ask-smart-questions..)

Status
Not open for further replies.