gt35r or holset hx35

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
well i am going to be boring the block ten over, and going to run aem ugo with a maft translator, and i was wondering which turbo would have the least lag, but at the same time be bale to handle 450 whp, or just which turbo you guys prefer.

thankyou

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Both these turbos are pretty similar, I believe the HX35 is larger than your typical GT35R, so potentially more lag. But, your selection of exhaust housings will make a big difference. Holset turbos are awesome! great quality and reasonable prices, especially considering the vast used availibility of them. What company for the GT35R are you looking at? I'd recommend PTE,
Precision turbos are a little pricey but definately worth the money.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
You could try the holset, and if you didnt like it, you wouldnt really be out any big money. Ive heard the holset hits harder and will go from vacuum to +18 psi in 100 pms. So it could be more of tire smoker than anything.

2quickk

Jun 22, 2009
Prosser
www.myspace.com
Personally i'd go with the gt35r if i had to decide bteween the both. But instead of an hx35 i'd suggest an hx40 which then, i'd prefer over the gt35r, because of the price and reliability. The hx35 is comparable to a 50 trim Garrett on roids while the hx40 is more versatile in overall performance than the gt35r. So if you're planning on purchasing an hx turbo i suggest an hx40.

Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Price? Hands down the Holset Hy35, not the hx as the hy has a smaller exhaust housing.
Reliability? Hands down again the Holset. Ive seen the diesel guys cook these things to oblivion and the turbo still runs.

Spool? I think this may be a little bit of a toss up.

The hy flows about 57lbs a minute and measures the following

Compressor minor/major: 52.75mm/77.84mm
Turbine minor/major: 57.98mm/65.20mm

The GT3582R flows approx 61 lbs
Compressor minor/major: 61.4mm/82.0mm
Turbine specs: 68mm w/ 84 trim

So on the wheel ends of things, the hy35 is has a smaller rotating mass than the GT35R, but lacks the latest in ball bearing design. That being said, the hy35 and the he351cw have been called the "poor mans" gt35r.

You figure you can pick up a hy35 or he351cw used, running, for $300 or so. You will spend $1500 for a gt35R. Sure both could be blown up in a matter of seconds, but the holset will cost you $200-350 to have rebuilt. Or you could just go buy a new one. So in the long run, you could go through 4 holsets before you were up to the price of one Gt35R. Did I mention the Gt35R is non-rebuildable?

For some more thought provoking....

-Hy35, flows approx 57 lbs/min
-Hx35, flows approx 60.85 lbs/min
-He351cw (Spools faster than the hx35, but makes the same power) flows approx 60.85 lbs/min
-Hx40, flows approx 70.10 lbs/min
-Hx45 (can't find the flow at this time)
-Hx50/52 or 55. flows approx 99.20 lbs/min
-Hx60 (Notice I didn't say HT60), flows approx 125.66 lbs/min
-Hx82, flows approx 198.42 lbs/min

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
As stated, HX series turbos go from vacuum into full boost in a couple hundred rpm, which would be a freak of a tire shredding machine. I dont know how initial spool of an HX vs. a GT35R would play out though..

Holset > GT35R IMHO

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I should have a 1JZ w/ a Holset HE351CW running in the next week or two. It has a 9cm2 exhaust housing so spool should be pretty quick and it should be able to easily flow enough to meet your 450hp goal. I don't think anybody that I've heard of or seen has used this turbo on a Supra. I'll be sure to share the experiences and results on here.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Use the Holset. It might weigh more, but it will take quite a beating, it was designed to be abused all day.
You better have good tires out back, it will roast them in lower gears when you hit boost.
Then again, I may be biased.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
rob21a48422;1372536 said:
I should have a 1JZ w/ a Holset HE351CW running in the next week or two. It has a 9cm2 exhaust housing so spool should be pretty quick and it should be able to easily flow enough to meet your 450hp goal. I don't think anybody that I've heard of or seen has used this turbo on a Supra. I'll be sure to share the experiences and results on here.

Obviously with your 93 posts, you haven't searched or "heard" enough.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
MDCmotorsports;1372799 said:

Well, I'm sorry if I haven't posted enough for your liking. I'm not here to impress anyone. I know you have been a big supporter of Holset's. I'm pretty sure I've talked to you before about them. I've done quite a bit of searching on here. If you know of somebody who's used the HE351CW please point me in their direction. I'd love to pick their brain about it to learn as much info as I can. That's why I'm on this forum, to gather info. If you look at the amount of time I've spent on the forum and then the # of post's I have you'd see that I have spent quite a bit of time searching. Hell, that's just about all i use the forum for. Again, I'm sorry if you know somebody who's used this turbo and think I'm trying to steal their claim of being first or something like that. Thanks for trying to embarass me though. I only posted what I did because I thought it was relevant to the thread and could help the OP.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Well, I have the car running. Still working some of the bugs out and just got the MAP-ECU2 hooked up today. Just from the little bit of driving I've done it seems that the HE351CW starts making positive boost around 2700rpms and reaches full boost around 3000rpms. Right now It's only running off of the wastegate spring and pushing 9lbs but it comes on quick enough that I'm sure higher #'s would come shortly after 3000rpms. I'll do some playing with the car tomorrow and start logging some runs so I can get a better grasp on when it's spooling.

All in all, I'd say this turbo is going to be perfect for those looking for anything with a decent top end but don't want lag.

hhsuperwhite90

Mar 10, 2008
South Carolina
I'm looking hard at the 351c as well and would like to know what you're doing for the downpipe. The exhaust flange is an odd size like 3 3/4". Any help and pics would be appreciated, Thanks.

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
MDCmotorsports;1372799 said:

:eek:wned:

rob21a48422;1373399 said:
Well, I'm sorry if I haven't posted enough for your liking. I'm not here to impress anyone. I know you have been a big supporter of Holset's. I'm pretty sure I've talked to you before about them. I've done quite a bit of searching on here. If you know of somebody who's used the HE351CW please point me in their direction. I'd love to pick their brain about it to learn as much info as I can. That's why I'm on this forum, to gather info. If you look at the amount of time I've spent on the forum and then the # of post's I have you'd see that I have spent quite a bit of time searching. Hell, that's just about all i use the forum for. Again, I'm sorry if you know somebody who's used this turbo and think I'm trying to steal their claim of being first or something like that. Thanks for trying to embarass me though. I only posted what I did because I thought it was relevant to the thread and could help the OP.

dont take it personal man,but yes we're all here to learn something

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
hhsuperwhite90;1377140 said:
I'm looking hard at the 351c as well and would like to know what you're doing for the downpipe. The exhaust flange is an odd size like 3 3/4". Any help and pics would be appreciated, Thanks.

I found an awesome solution to that problem. At least I think it is. The flange on it is a 4" V-Band. I bought this downpipe on Ebay for $70 shipped:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I cut it right where the long 4" pipe meets the 4" elbow. Then I took the elbow to a good welding shop with the turbine housing and had them weld it to the turbo. Now I have a nice big 4" elbow after the turbo and then a quick transition to a 3" V-Band. I bought another 3" V-Band flange and cut and welded it to my existing 3" downpipe. It was pretty easy and very cheap. The best part is that you have a nice shinny 4" stainless steel pipe that ends up becoming your intake pipe since the HE351 has a 4" intake. I'll try to get you some pics in the next day or two. Hope that helps.