greddy oil filters (opinions)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just to keep this in perspective not all Mobil Ones have been proven to be Grp III, just the most expensive line. Since these days Mobil flat out refuses to either confirm or deny the base stock in any of their oils (when in the past they touted it) the buyer should beware. I suspect some of their oils must still be Grp IV due to their low pour points. They could simply be loading them up with depressants though.

My problem with Mobil is they charge too much for what are oils that have a history of returning mediocre wear numbers. That and they made the change to Grp III on the sly. Considering their history with Castrol all that's enough for me to steer clear. There are simply better oils out there for the money. Their filters are just a crappy value. For couple dollars more you could get an Amsoil EaO.

Myself I'm a PureOne, WIX, or Mann-Hummel guy...along with a roll of toilet paper ;)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
jetjock said:
Just to keep this in perspective not all Mobil Ones have been proven to be Grp III, just the most expensive line. Since these days Mobil flat out refuses to either confirm or deny the base stock in any of their oils (when in the past they touted it) the buyer should beware. I suspect some of their oils must still be Grp IV due to their low pour points. They could simply be loading them up with depressants though.
Do you have any articles or anything on where this was proven? A buddy of mine would be interested to see this, but just saying "this guy on the internet" isn't really very convincing. ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You're right JJ...It was the Mobil EP line that was tested and even more so Mobil's behavior concerning the switch that makes me really leery.

mkIIIman089 said:
Do you have any articles or anything on where this was proven? A buddy of mine would be interested to see this, but just saying "this guy on the internet" isn't really very convincing. ;)

Gas chromatography analysis was done on some Mobil 1 EP grades...the test showed these were Group III. An individual did the testing...no web site, no axe to grind...just looking for the facts. As stated, Mobil will neither confirm nor deny the switch. Gas chromatography is pretty darn accurate ;)

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
jdub said:
You're right JJ...It was the Mobil EP line that was tested and even more so Mobil's behavior concerning the switch that makes me really leery.

Gas chromatography analysis was done on some Mobil 1 EP grades...the test showed these were Group III. An individual did the testing...no web site, no axe to grind...just looking for the facts. As stated, Mobil will neither confirm nor deny the switch. Gas chromatography is pretty darn accurate ;)

Mobil-1 EP (extended performance) version is fully synthetic. It is not made in the refinery lube plant. All of it is made it in the ExxonMobil Beaumont refinery chemical plant. It is not based on fossil fules. 100% of it is man made.

Now, the majority of the regular Mobil-1 is synthetic. A portion of it is lube oil based on fossil fuels.

These are the facts...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
See Colin? It must be true cause a guy on the internet said so ;)

Supraholic: Facts? State your source. A Phd chemist and VP of the largest syn fluids maker in the world with 30 years experience doing GC analysis on base stocks claims different. Not to mention you write like someone doesn't know much about the technical side of oils. You do know even legitimate PAO is derived from fossil hydrocarbons right?

Better yet why don't you email XOM (or call the tech line) and out ask them? Ask "are any Grp III oils used in the current Mobil One EP line"? Or "is the majority of the Mobil One line Grp IV PAO as you've advertised for 30 years"? Go on, do it. Let us know what answer you get.

SS: You can buy a Trasko from Trasko's website. Google the term.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, funny how those old bugs didn't have a filter yet lasted forever. More proof a full flow filter is pretty much a useless appendage on a car. I know a guy who ran without a filter for a year. Oil analysis showed no difference in wear metals. Airplane engines used to come with only a screen too.

My car either makes a lot of short trips or sits for days. The nice thing about TP is not only does it provide submicronic filtration but removes water from the oil. No water means no acid. There are lots of benefits to that. Not only does the engine stay cleaner and not corrode but the oil's TBN stays higher longer.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Why do you think I was looking to see if it could be had any cheaper somewhere's else? ;)

BTW, anyone know the life expectancy of one before a replacement filter media needs to be purchased?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
starscream5000 said:
Why do you think I was looking to see if it could be had any cheaper somewhere's else? ;)

BTW, anyone know the life expectancy of one before a replacement filter media needs to be purchased?
I had pm'd Jdub about this so I don't think he'll mind.

Jdub said:
You can run this filter by itself, but it's most effective on a remote dual filter set-up in combination with a Wix/PureOne. The Trasko you want is the TI-10S...buy some extra filter elements too.

If you run this by itself, you want to change the element after 2000 miles...it's going to surprise you how much crap it will filter out

This is a bypass filter...the way it works is it only filters a small amount of oil and the rest is by passed. Over time all the oil gets filtered...down to the 1 micron level. Once that happens, it keeps the oil very clean...you want to change it (after the 1st time) every 4000 miles. Take a look at the element and you can adjust based on the filter color from top to bottom.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
JustAnotherVictim said:
I had pm'd Jdub about this so I don't think he'll mind.

Great, thanks!

The best oil you can get all depends on what deals there are around you area at that time. Like Jdub said, Castrol european formula for 3.xx a quart is a damn good deal and I would have bought them dry ;).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Traskos are a bit spendy alright. Replacement time depends on the condition of the engine but generally speaking the first element needs to be replaced sooner as it cleans things up. After that you can go longer. Traskos are not the best choice for a bypass filter although they work well. Their real benefit is an easy install. For oil you can always put them on a dual remote mount as jdub said. I own two but don't use them for engine oil. Where they shine is on auto trannys. In that use they'll go a very long time without servicing and keep the tranny fluid as clean as you can get it.

Alex: Unless you're really going to study oil and use analysis to find out which one your engine "likes" just use what makes you feel good. The engine will last longer than you'll want the car even using the cheapest oil you can buy. It's that last anal percent of performance oil freaks are looking for. In the end it doesn't really matter because all oils these days are good. That's the irony of it. When you finally reach the Zen of oil knowledge you come to understand it really doesn't much matter what you use. Who woulda thunk it.

Mobil One is no different. It's still a good oil. Hell, most all Grp III oils are as good as "real" synthetics. For example even though I'm the one who turned many people on to the German Castrol I'm running a Grp III 5w20 these days. It's just that as the Dubster said if I'm going to pay for Grp IV I want to get it. And if you want my business at all don't be replacing something you built a synthetic oil empire on with something cheaper while not telling anyone and continually charging more for it while dodging every attempt at people getting the truth.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
Im using FIAAM oil filter (cheat sh**) along with Neste (pure PAO oil) 5w-50 and I dont see any down sides of this composition.

BTW, there are 2 different Toyota OEM filters with same part number, one made in Japan and another made in Thailand. From outside they both look a like, but when u look closer to theyr inside, theres some different in material finish, and also Japan made filter is a bit heavyer so request only Japan made filter at the dealership.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
I don't see any problems with that either other than the oil is way too thick. Btw, no oil is pure anything. If yours was all PAO it'd destroy your engine seals in short order. Worse, with a spread like 5-50 only about half of what's in every bottle of that stuff is lubricant. You guys really should learn some some oil basics. Using a cheap oil filter isn't a problem. You can use a Fram and still be OK, even it'll catch 100% of the bugs and leaves sucked past a K&N ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supraholic said:
Mobil-1 EP (extended performance) version is fully synthetic. It is not made in the refinery lube plant. All of it is made it in the ExxonMobil Beaumont refinery chemical plant. It is not based on fossil fules. 100% of it is man made.

Now, the majority of the regular Mobil-1 is synthetic. A portion of it is lube oil based on fossil fuels.

These are the facts...

I'd like to see these facts for myself...I e-mailed Exxon about this and got a sidestep answer..."all Mobil 1 oils meet or exceed standards for synthetic oil. It is formulated to perform under the toughest conditions...etc, etc". Never answered the question on if it was still a PAO based Grp IV. Try it yourself slick ;)

Like JJ said, the guy that did the testing is a petro-chemist...a PhD. He had no agenda against Exxon, just wanted to confirm or deny the rumor that Mobil 1 EP switched to a Grp III base stock.

Read this to see the differences for API Group base stocks:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38811

ViR2 - I'd go with a different filter ;)
To get the viscosity spread in a 5W-50 oil, a lot of additives are required...specifically viscosity modifiers and pour depressants. This is in addition to the wear, anti-foam, and detergent additives...all of which take up volume in a liter of oil. This is what JJ is getting at...the oil you are using is getting to the point where half is additives that makes it meet SAE viscosity and API category requirements. The closer the spread, the less additives required...especially on a PAO or ester based oil.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
jetjock said:
See Colin? It must be true cause a guy on the internet said so ;)

Supraholic: Facts? State your source. A Phd chemist and VP of the largest syn fluids maker in the world with 30 years experience doing GC analysis on base stocks claims different. Not to mention you write like someone doesn't know much about the technical side of oils. You do know even legitimate PAO is derived from fossil hydrocarbons right?

Better yet why don't you email XOM (or call the tech line) and out ask them? Ask "are any Grp III oils used in the current Mobil One EP line"? Or "is the majority of the Mobil One line Grp IV PAO as you've advertised for 30 years"? Go on, do it. Let us know what answer you get.

SS: You can buy a Trasko from Trasko's website. Google the term.

Well, I happend to be a chemical engineer working for XOM. Yeah.. i dont know thing about technical side of oil... humm.. you can believe what you want..