greddy oil filters (opinions)

klaasjoe

Nov 27, 2006
Los Angeles
I was bored today so i was surfing the web and saw that greddy has oil filters. Was wondering if any of you have tried them and what you thought?
thanx
Joe

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Toyota filters are average at best...the ones I listed above are the most bang for the buck.
WalMart Super Tech filters are better than Toyota ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supraholic said:
Mobil-1 is just a champion labs product.. no added benefit as the Mobil-1 Oil.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#mobil1

Very true, but it's an upgraded Champion filter ;)
This is what a person should do...take a look at what you're putting in your pan and what you're screwing on for a filter. This is what I was getting at when I asked Alex what his reason was for using it...Nice job :icon_bigg

The Mobile 1 is actually a very good filter and uses a synthetic media per below...it is on par with the PureOne filtering capability wise. You're going to pay for it though.

Like the Champ filter, this filter is made by Champion Labs. However, it uses a unique end plate and a thicker can that make it the strongest filter available for wide distribution retail sale. It also uses a synthetic media, which inproves filtration and flow. I'm happy to say that this filter is not a fake. It is definitely a unique design.

It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and is very strong. It is rated just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure spikes during start-up. However, as with all Mobil 1 products, expect to pay 2 - 3 times as much for this filter.

I have received many reports of these filters failing at high pressures. It seems that the seam where the backplate crimps to the case can split.

Supraholic said:
Stick with Toyota.

Like I said above, the Toyota filter is not that good...it's not going to hurt your car, but there are better filters out there for the money.

AlexSmith

Argue this!
Feb 16, 2007
DFW Texas
jdub said:
Pricey filter...do you have a good reason for using it?

Well I take my car to Mobil1 for oil changes because I have no jacks. I have never had a problem with oil pressure, oil consumption etc using Mobil1 oils so I went with the same filter. Figured it would be best. I don't mind paying for a good quality filter and oil so $45 for an oil change with Mobil1.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you think Mobil1 is synthetic like it says on the bottle, you are dead wrong. You are paying synthetic price for a hydrocracked oil (dyno oil). It's still not a bad oil, but I wouldn't put it in my turbo car. If you want a true synthetic, try Castrol 0W30 european formula, Redline, or Amsoil ;).

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Yep...dead on. Royal Purple is also a true syn oil. If you're going to run a hydrocracked oil, Pennzoil Platinum is a better base stock than Mobil 1 and a better add pack. IMO, you should run a true syn in a turbo car...no heavier than a 10W-40. If a 5W-30 or 0W-30 gives you the pressures in the TRSM at operating temp, I would use that.

Running German Castrol here...why?
Go to the oil section...I did a write-up on it.

AlexSmith

Argue this!
Feb 16, 2007
DFW Texas
I know it is not a true synthetic. BTW it is still cheaper than regular synthetics so I guess it is priced right. I read a very good write up in DSport about oils and such. I am just not to keen on paying almost $9 per quart for oil and a 7MGE. When I get my car back as turbo that will probably change.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
AlexSmith said:
So am I wrong for using Mobil1?

No, you're not. But as JJ so tactfully put it, you are paying too much for what you get. If you go to Mobil for the convenience and you have the $$$ to burn, go for it. For me, If I'm going to pay syn oil prices...I want a real syn oil in the pan ;)

AlexSmith said:
I know it is not a true synthetic. BTW it is still cheaper than regular synthetics so I guess it is priced right. I read a very good write up in DSport about oils and such. I am just not to keen on paying almost $9 per quart for oil and a 7MGE. When I get my car back as turbo that will probably change.

Mobil 1 and the Castrol European Formula (German Castrol) are about the same price ;)
At least at AutoZone they are, I've caught the German Castrol on sale for $3.50 a quart just by checking the Sunday paper flyers

swaq said:
Where can you buy these (I have a pretty good idea on the NAPA one ;)) and how much are they?

I buy the Wix on-line at Rock Auto. Pep Boys sells the PureOne...about $5 iirc.
BTW - the NAPA Gold is a Wix filter ;)