Graduate School :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
meggs521 said:
Are you the fiancee that got accepted at the UA? If you did- did you get a position with any professor in particular? Where else did you apply?

No that must not be me, and no I'm not letting a professor put me in any positions at all. I'm married and I'm not a switch hitter.................:biglaugh:

Congrats Meggs!!!

Good luck with the rest of your edumacation............lol

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
meggs521 said:
Are you the fiancee that got accepted at the UA? If you did- did you get a position with any professor in particular? Where else did you apply?
Yep! I got in with Dr. Ritchie in the atmospheric sciences department. I also applied to five other schools: Penn State, Colorado State, Florida State, UW, and MIT. Whew. =)

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
No, I'm definitely still in deciding mode - I'm actually visiting Florida State this weekend and Arizona in hopefully two weeks. Right now I'm seesawing between those two.

I've heard back from all the schools except one, and from what I did hear from that particular school (via e-mail) I'm on the wait list, which is fine since I've been accepted elsewhere, eh heh.

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
I'm kind of in the same boat, I've heard back from all but one. And I'm visiting Notre Dame next weekend :) Hopefully everything goes well.

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
Unfortunately I've just been on one so far (Florida State), and it was great! The staff and faculty took very good care of all the visiting grad students (it was an organized visit weekend) and made quite the impression on me. I definitely think it's a place I'd be happy at.

I'll be visiting Arizona next week... there will be much less organization but hopefully it'll still go well. *crosses fingers*

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
I hope she likes it! I love Tucson...

But I said yes to Notre Dame yesterday so it looks like I'll be heading to Indiana :)

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
I kept meaning to come back and offer to help with anything if she needed anything while she was here but I didn't get around to it in time...

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
bluemyst said:
Unfortunately I've just been on one so far (Florida State), and it was great! The staff and faculty took very good care of all the visiting grad students (it was an organized visit weekend) and made quite the impression on me. I definitely think it's a place I'd be happy at.

I'll be visiting Arizona next week... there will be much less organization but hopefully it'll still go well. *crosses fingers*

Hey what're you going to grad school for? Engineering? If so I might see you over there! (well at least in the fall, in December I'm peacin' out!)

I go to FSU! And as you said it's freaking great here... WOO HOO!

(Congrats to you and Meggs)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
meggs521 said:
Derk- I think I've probably asked you before, but what kind of engineering are you doing?

evil evil Computer/Electrical :cry:

Only 2 more weeks of it left, then I'll be done with all the curriculum except for senior design, then in the fall all I have left is the second half of senior design and then the pain is over, hehe.

You're ME right?

(PS - You're my hero. A masters in engineering will be QUITE the accomplishment! ... I'm 99.9999999% sure I'm stopping with my BS in terms of engineering... MBA FTW!! haha)

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Yes, I'm ME... and don't say I'm your hero until I make it through, ha. But I think computer/ Electrical seem a lot harder.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Hah... well you're going for it (which says a lot about you... over achiever ;) ), so you're in that elite like 5-10% of each graduating class that wants to go and then gets accepted. So you can be my hero because of that until you get that masters (you will! heh)

And CpE/EE isn't really too hard... just different I guess. One of my good friends is ME and it seems like you all have a TON of lab reports and simulations and designs and stuff like that. All we generally do is program stuff and do math (lots and lots and lots of math...)

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Ya, we do have the labs. But I like labs and I suck at programing stuff.... soooo, ya, it all depends on what you like and what you're good at.

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
Hehe, no worries - my mom and I enjoyed Tucson very much. Gosh, Speedway is long...

I'm now leaning more toward UA than the other schools... I'll officially decide by Friday. Eeeek...

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
haha, yes, Speedway is long. And it's funny, they call it Speedway and it's one of the slowest, most annoying roads to drive down. At least for me.