Graduate School :)

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Hey guys!

So I'm a senior in mechanical engineering, graduating in May, and I just found out that I got into grad school and I'm soooo happy... I'm so happy that I can't focus on anything right now! I got my letters from the University of Arizona last night when I got home from Puerto Rico and then I just got an email from Notre Dame. I still don't know about Case Western, but I'm not suppose to hear from them for like a week or so (I hope). I was so worried that I had gotten rejected everywhere that this has definitely made my day/ week/ life.

And I top of that I just got back from an AMAZING trip to Puerto Rico where I got to know 2 awesome friends much better and now I know how much we really do have in common and they're even more amazing than I had imagined... it was a great trip and worth every cent!

For this first time in a very long time, I feel like things are finally starting to fall into place and it's a great feeling. And all of my friends are gone on spring break (I came back early) and I felt like sharing.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
congrats meggs...i hope u picked up some spanish, maybe later we can get a conversation in spanish..hehe

congrats and good luck with everything.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
congratulations. ill be transferring soon and will hopefully be getting my BS in CS this time next year, i sure hope i feel the way you do when i get there, with the whole life falling into place thing! :)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Congrats!! I know how stressful it is (watching all my friends interview for companies and apply for Grad school right now... there's no way in HELL I'm doing it, so you're a better person than me, haha). But I hope you go out and celebrate and enjoy yourself! Quite the achievement!

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Congratulations!_0907.jpg

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Congrats Meggs! I wasn't ready for the real world yet and I LOVED grad school!

Since you're an ME, is a stipend part of the deal? If not, get working on finding a company to fund your project because even though I sure didn't get rich, it was great to have my tuition paid in full and $1000/mo just for going to school and doing a little research for the USDA.

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Thanks everyone!!!

I'm not entirely sure how the stipend thing works- I don't know if everyone gets them or what, but both of the schools I've heard from so far have offered me stipends. The UA offered me a 1/4 time teaching assistant position and a 1/4 time research position with a professor that I absolutely loved, and Notre Dame offered me a department fellowship... I have to go talk to my professors and figure out what everything actually means, but both say they'll cover tuition and give me stipends :)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
meggs521 said:
Thanks everyone!!!

I'm not entirely sure how the stipend thing works- I don't know if everyone gets them or what, but both of the schools I've heard from so far have offered me stipends. The UA offered me a 1/4 time teaching assistant position and a 1/4 time research position with a professor that I absolutely loved, and Notre Dame offered me a department fellowship... I have to go talk to my professors and figure out what everything actually means, but both say they'll cover tuition and give me stipends :)

Congrats! My fiancee also got accepted to graduate school at UA. She was also offered a good stipend. I'll link her to this thread to see if she has anything to mention.

bluemyst

grad student... woo
Jul 14, 2006
Arizona
www.r-blue.com
Congratulations! Don't you just love that feeling? =D

As long as they say they'll give you a stipend, then you're good. A lot of departments either don't give them or don't have the money for them, and then of course you've got to work for them since it's a bit like a job with salary (as far as the stipend is concerned, that is). Most science and engineering departments will, though, since a) they tend to have grant money and b) they want your labor! *chuckles*

All the schools that have accepted me have offered stipends and tuition waivers as long as I'll work either as an RA or TA half-time. I'm not sure if that clarified anything for you, but I hope it helps! =)

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Ha... maybe one day I'll build my own motor... but I'd be too scared to use it. I may seem smart at engineering stuff, but I'd never trust anything I design. So if my name is ever associated with anything that could be dangerous you all might want to run the other way.

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
bluemyst said:
Congratulations! Don't you just love that feeling? =D

As long as they say they'll give you a stipend, then you're good. A lot of departments either don't give them or don't have the money for them, and then of course you've got to work for them since it's a bit like a job with salary (as far as the stipend is concerned, that is). Most science and engineering departments will, though, since a) they tend to have grant money and b) they want your labor! *chuckles*

All the schools that have accepted me have offered stipends and tuition waivers as long as I'll work either as an RA or TA half-time. I'm not sure if that clarified anything for you, but I hope it helps! =)

Are you the fiancee that got accepted at the UA? If you did- did you get a position with any professor in particular? Where else did you apply?