GR Synthetic Oil

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The site says a PAO/ester blend, so the base stock is good. Other than that, the info is limited at best...no spec sheet, no viscosity's. I imagine it would be fine to use, but if you are doing it because it says "Greddy" on the bottle, that would be a mistake. I hope it's good at 9.95 a quart...that's Red Line pricing.

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
jdub;1277948 said:
The site says a PAO/ester blend, so the base stock is good. Other than that, the info is limited at best...no spec sheet, no viscosity's. I imagine it would be fine to use, but if you are doing it because it says "Greddy" on the bottle, that would be a mistake. I hope it's good at 9.95 a quart...that's Red Line pricing.

i have used royal purple in my car for two years now and i love it. i was just seeing if anyone had any experience with the greddy oil

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Why do you "love" Royal Purple? Have you done oil analysis to see whats happening inside your engine with wear metals or to see how fast the oil is breaking down?

supra88gr

Sep 10, 2008
s dub
i have been using royal purple because when i got my supra running last year i did some research and everyone from sport compact car magazine to horsepower TV(i think that was the show) tested a bunch of oils and according to the test it was the best out of all the rest as well as showing hp gains which i could not believe my eyes. but please give me all your comments on what oil is the best for my car (price is not an issue) thanks and by the way just to help you out on recomanding an oil for me.my supra is 7m powered:love: and is driven everyday,puts down 478rwhp at 24psi on a gt35r set up with a stock bottom end

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
First thing you need to understand...this oil or that oil will not produce a HP gain. Eneos makes this claim and if Greddy is too, then they are telling a lie.

The "best" oil is what works well in your engine...you determine that with analysis. To be honest, you have no clue if Royal Purple is good for your engine or not...what you said earlier is based on "feel"...it really doesn't mean squat. What works well in one engine may or may not work well in another. This holds true for engines of the same make and year as well. Another person's experience may not produce the same results in your motor, unless it is repeated many times. German Castrol is one of the oils that has been very sucessful in the 7M and it's been proven by analysis.

IMO, in a turbo motor, a PAO or ester based oil is best due to the heat produced by the turbo. German Castrol, Amsoil and Royal Purple are PAO...Red Line is ester. The rest of the more common oils out there called "synthetics" are hydrocracked mineral oils...that includes most Castrol SynTec (GC is the exception), Mobil 1, Valvoline SynPower and Pennzoil Platinum. These are not bad oils, just not real synthetics. In fact Pennzoil Platinum is one of the best out there.

As far as the "boutique" oils like Eneos and Greddy, the claims I've seen "proving" HP gains by the various import mags and company "tests" are enough to make me not use them. Why? Even though they may be a good oil, the hype is used to market them at prices well above others that are just as good or better. For me price is an issue. I'm not buying the hype when I can get an oil that is just as good for a lower price. If I were willing to pay $10 a quart, I'd buy Red line...I'm not, so I use German Castrol ;)

There's a lot of info in this section...read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig. Pay attention to what that link and I've said many, many times about cold/hot viscosity's. Then, pick what serves your needs and do analysis.