Got the 1j running but have a knock.... See Video what could this be??

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
I started up the engine today and it ran smoothly for a few seconds then began to knock and cut out.. I am currently running a stock MX73 fuel pump could this be the reason? I figured it would be strong enough to supply the engine at idle.

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
I just tried cranking it again and now it wont start.. and a few puffs of smoke came out of the tow of the engine between the cam and the turbo :(

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
That sucks. Did you prime the oil pump before you fired it up? Even with the stock fuel pump the engine should start and idle if everything is wired correctly.

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
I had fuel but i dont know what the pressure was... i was also running 83 octane derp :nono:... im done being stupid i ordered a walboro and a new radiator so ill give it another shot on tuesday when i get em.. since im dropping the tank ill start fresh with some 93 and hope i didnt fuck anything up.. I have to get the thing to check for codes

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
you can check the codes by using a jumper wire in the diagnosis box, i think its E1 and T1 (not 100% sure on that) then turn key and write down the numbers the flashes give ya. there might be some codes stored in there.

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
"W pin going to a Light and bridging TE1-E1" just got that of toyomods.
Has anyone done this.. do i just count from when the ecu gets power? and what if there are 2 codes will it stop for a few seconds then start again?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Low octane won't hurt anything just idling and driving under no boost. Sounds like your timing is off to me, did the t-belt jump a tooth or did the cam sensor come loose? I'm not familiar with the cam sensor on the JZ engines, but most cam sensors have adjustability, and if the bolts come loose and the sensor moves the car will knock and run like crap.

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
I just installed a walboro 255 and put some 93 in.. It will start when its cold and idle "ok" for a few seconds but when it starts to heat up a little it starts goin crazy.. it then will only run if i hold the throttle open as soon as i let go it stalls out... I did just change to timing belt and front main seal.. maybe i put it on wrong? I also checked the compression all except 1 were at ~170 and another was ~160

When my cams are zeroed out my crank is at 5 degrees is this ok?

Last edited:

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
Heres a video of what it does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepbTAWKDXQ

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Heres a video of what it does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepbTAWKDXQ

There is also coolant leaking out of somewhere in the rear of the engine.. the knocking ive been hearing almost sounds like something is open.. ( I currently have the heater core hose looping into itself ) and some smoke puffs coming off of the rear turbo manifold ( possibly burning coolant? )

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
With your throttle needing to be open in order for it to idle, it could be that your ISCV is stuck, as mine was. Easy cheap fix too, just adjust the screw to the left of the throttle body to crack open the throttle just enough. Might raise your idle a bit (mine sits around 900-1000 most of the time), but nothing major, and keeps it running. I used the screw that controls the throttle bracket that the cruise control would use, if I had it.

As for your burning coolant, it sounds to me like one of the coolant pipes on back might not have the hose clamp tightened down, double check these. Be careful not to crush the pipe, but if those are loose (or not *on* far enough, as I've learned), they will leak a bit. Being near the turbos, there is a LOT of heat around there, so yes, it would burn it pretty easy.

Set your timing properly and get back on here, let us know if that helped the knocking. If not, my thoughts lead to exhaust leak, I have a pretty nasty one on my car...

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
ok I got it down. Im pretty sure im off by a tooth on the timing belt, but before i could get to working on it i rolled my ankle and got a grade 2 sprain..... Ill get an update on here when i get that belt fixed

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
also how would i know what position to belt has to go on if i dont remember where the stock one went?? :1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Line up the marks. It may be hard to see but the bottom end is at 0*.
IIRC there is a mark on the lower gear and on the oil pump housing. to line up also.

page0034.png